Story file (updated)
Story file (original)

Tenth Plague

by Lynnea Dally profile

2011

You are thrust into earthly existence to fulfill the tenth and final plague.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2011
IFID: 2670D94E-B0D1-47FE-BC04-A80832058800
TUID: axzhbgr7dn7fba5g

12th Place - 17th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2011)

A point-making biblical game with an interesting protagonist, May 6, 2015
This is a short horror game in a biblical setting. Puzzles are interesting with some good variety.

The game is heavy-handed in its writing. The point seems to be that the author thinks that parts of Exodus are ridiculous and/or disturbing, and has written this game to show how horrifying and deeply wrong God's actions are in this book. This heavy-handedness comes out more in the commentary; the author admits that he toned down the actual game's writing in order to increase the frightening atmosphere.

I have very different beliefs from the author, and I believe that the events in Exodus are mostly historical, with some errors introduced in the manuscript over time; and that the God of Exodus was and is filled with justice and mercy. This obviously affected my enjoyment of the game. But as for puzzles and atmosphere, this game is very well designed.

The deadliest IF protagonist?, December 7, 2011
by Joey Jones (UK)
Related reviews: IF Comp 2011, short game
Tenth Plague is a competently handled short game- each scenario (other than the final one) is slightly more trickier than the last. There's also a hidden commentary mode, which is a neat feature.

There are only a few problems in the implementation of incidental items that Lynnea probably didn't expect anyone to bother interacting with, and I struggled with finding the wording for at least one of the puzzles, though it was always clear what I needed to do to proceed.

I really liked the small visual elements like the dead locusts on the roof, that hinted at the plagues that had come before. The puzzles were simple enough that the game moved along at a fast pace, which worked well for evoking the swift inevitibility of the plague. One of the strengths of IF, seen clearly here, is that novel game and story premises can be explored.

(As far as ratings go- I take 3 as being 'good', '4' as 'great', and five 'transcendental'. In truth, it deserves at least a 3.5).

If you enjoyed Tenth Plague...