For all systems. To play, you'll need a glulx interpreter - visit Brass Lantern for download links. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

Allein mit Kai

by Ingo Scharmann and Joana Markus

Slice of life
2010

Arndt Koschke is very excited. After a few dates on neutral territory he meets Tanja today in her apartment for the first time. But suddenly she has to go out for half an hour and Arndt has to watch her young son Kai. This turns out not to be an easy task...

Language: German (de)
First Publication Date: December 19, 2010
License: Creative Commons
IFID: B187596A-5827-4E96-A01C-261B11BB685F
TUID: 9pzxnionaukagaoh

Nominee, Best Individual Puzzle; Nominee, Best Supplemental Materials - 2010 XYZZY Awards

Fun, shortish German game about stopping a rascally child., February 3, 2016
This is the first IF game I've played in another language, and it was actually very enjoyable. I had to dust off my german and use google translate to get most of the commands (I didn't know 'look under', 'turn on the lights', 'extinguish' etc.) I got one hint from ifwizz.de

The game is set in a 6-room apartment. The girl you're interested in has to leave for 30 minutes, and has asked you to watch her 4-year old Kai. Unfortunately, as soon as she leaves, Kai steals your lighter and sets fire to a trashcan!

No matter what you do, Tanja comes home after a half hour, and she talks it out with you. The talks range from very bad to very good. Fortunately, the talks give you hints on replay.

As indicated on ifwizz.de, there is a bit of 'guess the noun' going on here. Occasionally, if you are looking for something, you have to use the exactly correct adjective-noun combination.

I'm grateful to have tried IF in a new language, and I recommend this game. Maybe the authors should translate it for next years IFComp.

Funny child hunt, November 14, 2012
by ifwizz (Berlin, Germany)
You visit your new girlfriend in her Marzahn (Eastern Berlin) social housing apartment and have to keep your eye on her young son Kai awhile. That's not easy because Kai is on the go (Spoiler - click to show)and, for example, sets the wastebasket on fire with your lighter. It's a funny and well implemented game with lots of possibilites to go through in some 60 turns before the girlfriend returns, you may (Spoiler - click to show)even jump down from the balcony, enter a "bad implemented room" with sword and so on, and explore lots of things in the small accomodation. Kai is walking by random, so it's hard to get the full score (Spoiler - click to show)that will be analyzed in funny reports about the status of your relationship at the end.

If you enjoyed Allein mit Kai...

People who like Allein mit Kai also gave high ratings to these games:

Midnight. Swordfight., by Chandler Groover
A fool receives a challenge from a countess. Violence. Sex. Profanity. Sausage.

Mystery House Possessed, by Emily Short
This intricate all-text reworking draws on the Gothic, as well as Clue, to simulate seven characters working to outwit the killer in their midst.

Friendly Foe, by Mike Sousa
That bunny has done enough damage to your garden. Today is the day you're finally going to catch him. Armed with carrots and a fishing net, you set your sights on its home. This is going to be easy...

Allein mit Kai appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Games I Use At School by Herr Rau
I teach German, English and Computer Sciences and find IF useful in all subjects.

Good German language games by ifwizz
The best German language games I ever played

"My apartment" games by MathBrush
It's a trope in interactive fiction that first time author's tend to model their own home or apartment in detail as an experiment in programming. To see if this trope is true, I've created a list of 'my apartment' games. Because in most...

The following polls include votes for Allein mit Kai:

Games for language learners by Emily Boegheim
What are some good games for people trying to learn another language? I imagine that short games with relatively simple prose and not too many non-standard commands (if they're parser games) would work best, but feel free to suggest...

Best German-language games by MathBrush
I'm looking for your favorite games that are written in the German language. I've added a few games I've liked.

This is version 2 of this page, edited by ifwizz on 15 November 2012 at 11:06am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item