This is a browser game.
Soundtrack
The soundtrack of the game, made by the author. It's downloadable for free, but you can pay what you want.

(do not) forget

by lectronice profile

Surreal

(do not) forget is a slightly surreal tale. It takes place in an isometric world inhabited by cute cubic animals. It is, however, not intended for children. This is a contemplative game, sometimes crude, often absurd, maybe philosophical.

The game is made with Twine, but includes full screen graphics, (very) simple animations and background music. It tells the story of a rabbit trying to understand why his desert island is not desert anymore.

First Publication Date: April 13, 2014
TUID: 6hyfsgy8yzhyecgz

News

Expand all | Add a news item

Astonishing use of Twine, April 19, 2014
by Hanon Ondricek (United States)
(do not) forget is practically a graphical adventure created using twine and its choice-based systems, including (I believe) SugarCube for a save system. Beyond this it's like no other twine you've seen with full screen graphics, and downtempo sort of trip-hop music. Although the world is not really manipulable and consists of sprites moving around backgrounds which illustrate the simple story, it lends a huge dose of originality and weight to a game that would probably suffer without them and fall into the pile with every other short, zany twine story.

The writing is both witty and on occasion, crudely perverse. I've heard the graphics described as "Minecraft" and the simple cubic backgrounds and characters do resemble that game, but this also seems to be a parody of both FEZ and the ANIMAL CROSSING types of games which are filled with crocodiles named Crunchy and more is going on than you suspect. You're a bunny rabbit on a vision quest. Every animal, even in short appearances, has personality and a line you will probably remember, and the entire game plays in the self-aware jokey arena. It's not for everyone, especially if you don't like meta-snark, but I found it very worthwhile to see another thing that Twine is capable of, and I got a kick out of the animals arguing over their scientifically described behaviors.

I encountered one glitch where (Spoiler - click to show)I got stuck on one of the staticky "color of the sky" screens, and I hadn't used the save system. I don't know if it would have worked if I had since I played directly online, however, using my browser to go back and then forward again seemed to kick the HTML back in gear and the game proceeded. If it had not, I would have interpreted it as a strangely abrupt ending. The actual ending is slightly like that too. I thought "Am I done?" and had to wait a bit, and then I was. It fits the story pretty well though.

If you enjoyed (do not) forget...

People who like (do not) forget also gave high ratings to these games:

Missing Since 77, by Andrew Watt
When a derided author vanishes from his home, his incriminated wife hires a prodigious young detective to investigate.

metrolith, by Porpentine
I made this in a day for BIG TRASHY TWINE JAM. This is a micro-story generating CYOA inspired by Zdzisław Beksiński, about a traveler coming to a massive stone ruin. The selection of travelers you can pick from is different each time.

Trapped in Time, by Simon Christiansen
A Science Fiction adventure where YOU are the hero!

The following polls include votes for (do not) forget:

Less-linear Twine Games by Nathaniel
Twine (or other hypertext) games where your decisions make a significant difference, and the story changes significantly based on them (not just resulting in your death).

Twine-bending Twine Games by Mostly Useless
Twine games that do something you found unusual and interesting, not in terms of story, but visually or mechanically, or both. So not just white text on black screen with a few links.

For Your Consideration: Games from 2014 that should be nominated for the XYZZY Awards by Molly
There were a lot of great games released in the past year, and now that the XYZZYs are coming up, it seems like a very good idea to take a poll of all the games from last year people would like to see nominated. The management has asked...

This is version 9 of this page, edited by lectronice on 24 April 2014 at 4:43pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item