Post-Comp Release
Competition Version
Walkthrough and map
Verbose walkthrough and map by David Welbourn.

Hunger Daemon

by Sean M. Shore profile

Humor

It's not the end of the world, and you're to blame. Better get on that. But man, it sure would be nice to get a bite to eat first.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2014
IFID: C22D2908-DEF5-4117-B332-FBBC0970EBA9
TUID: 6f1j5et0lguk2fol

Nominee, Best Game; Nominee, Best Implementation - 2014 XYZZY Awards

1st Place overall; 1st Place, Miss Congeniality Award - 20th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2014)

News

Expand all | Add a news item

The Guardian
...the game is smart enough to know what you want to do and to tell you a bit about how to do it, and solving the puzzles feels rewarding. Its sense of humor is excellent...

Emily Short's Interactive Storytelling
IF Comp 2014: Hunger Daemon (Sean M. Shore)
... Hunger Daemon concerns a guy named Barry who lives in Saint Paul and is part of a Cthulhu cult. The ritual to help his uncle ascend to tentacled demonhood has gone a bit wrong, though, so Barry needs to solve some puzzles to get things back on track.

This is classic trad-IF fare. Itís got an amusing narrative voice; it runs about the right length for comp play; it feels really solid and thoroughly tested, and has good come-backs for all the incidental or optional commands I thought of typing. (more)

The Nameless Horror Would Approve, March 8, 2015
by Matt W (San Diego, CA)
This is an enjoyable little game, humorous and sweet, from an amusing but consistently executed perspective. The prose is excellent, the puzzles are interesting, but not too challenging and the small geography of the game is detailed and expertly realized. And it, perhaps surprisingly given its premise, has interesting things to say about religion and human character. Well worth an hour or so of your time.

Solid parody of a horror game, February 3, 2016
This is a very well implemented game with an engaging plotline and not-to-hard puzzles. The genre is humor/horror.

This game takes only an hour to play, but every location is well-implemented, and the puzzles mostly make sense (although one, I thought, was vaguely unfair, but it was probably just me not reading descriptions well).

The only drawback is the short game length. Pretty much a perfect game otherwise.

If you enjoyed Hunger Daemon...

Other members recommend these games for people who like Hunger Daemon, or gave both high ratings:

Robin & Orchid, by Ryan Veeder and Emily Boegheim
High school journalists spend the night in a church, investigating reports of a ghost.

Compound Fracture, by Jimmy Evans
This game is about dying in a car accident.

Paradise, by Devine Lu Linvega
A multiplayer library, endless and sleepless.

Hunger Daemon appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Vinesauce's Joel Might Love These Games by TheVoid
Games Joel, aka Vargskelethor on Twitch, would likely enjoy playing for a "text Adventure Madness" stream

A timeline of Lovecraftian horror by MathBrush
Lovecraftian games are oddly overrepresented in IF, both among IF in general, and among great IF games. They seem to be a good fit for the exploratory form of parser IF. Most of these games hit up all of the big-ticket Lovecraft items:...

Games that made me smile by MathBrush
I wanted to do a list of comedy games, but I think people rarely think "I want to play a comedy game"; to me, the phrase brings up some kind of jokey, goofy game, like many of the poorly made Twine games that people make now. Instead,...

The following polls include votes for Hunger Daemon:

For Your Frickin' Amusement! by Marshal Tenner Winter
Looking for NON-INFOCOM titles that include a "for your amusement" or a "have you tried?" section. plz k thx

Games for Beginners by WriterBob
I'm looking for games that are suited for adults who are new to IF. My purpose is to share these games with friends and let them get experience IF without being frustrated by mazes or guess-the-verb issues. Please avoid children's games....

Getting back into IF, best re-introductions to the genre by Sorrel
I haven't played any IF for roughly the past 6 years and am excited to get back into it. So, what have I missed? What have been some of your favorite games released since 2010? Alternatively, what games do you think would serve as a good...

This is version 20 of this page, edited by David Welbourn on 19 June 2015 at 11:19pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item