scoop.z5

Mystery
2004

IFID: ZCODE-1-040916-B2FF
TUID: 6btjoehc8dxedpxq

13th Place - 10th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2004)

[...] you start out as a woman being framed for murder who must escape an embarrassing situation, then switch over to a journalist who sets out to help her prove her innocence. Pretty standard stuff. Even the story behind the murder itself is a bit on the plain vanilla side, and the game even comes with its own "too-stupid-to-shoot-first-and-ask-questions-later" garden variety villain. This is not saying that it is badly done, mind you. Even with such a bland theme, the author does a competent job of putting together a well-paced story, complete with an action sequence at the end. Throughout, the game feels like a 50-minute episode from some 80's detective TV show.
-- Joao Mendes

[T]he good far outweighs the bad in this game -- it tried something new in its conversation system, and it kept me interested with a compelling story and canny puzzles. I enjoyed my time with it.

Not Spectacular, but Not Bad, June 15, 2011
It's not bad, per se, it's just ... nothing spectacular. The puzzles didn't seem to be particularly challenging or inventive. The descriptions, writing, and characters seem to be completely bare-boned, with nothing that really makes me care about them. If the characters had been more three-dimensional, I think I would have liked it a lot more. The "mystery" part of the game disappears after your first fail (and you'll probably fail the first scene many times), and that took a lot of the experience away from me.

As is, it's not a bad game to wile away some downtime if you feel like relaxing and not reading too much, but don't expect to come out with a fresh perspective or anything substantial like that.

Engaging!, June 11, 2011
As soon as I started the game and read the introduction I thought: "Wow, this could be intresting." And it was! I became really engaged and played for a long time. I enjoyed solving the puzzles although the hints in the menu can be good to take a look at if your looking for a specific verb(especially in the Swedish version).

I like the story a lot, it's exciting. It's driven forward by an excellent conversation system which I think worked pretty well, though, it can sometimes give suggestions for topics which you shouldn't have heard of yet; and by doing so spoiling the story.

I found some bugs around (Spoiler - click to show)Turbot Street and around the safe, regarding locking and opening, but nothing severe. I gave this game four stars because I find the conversation system very good and complete, I like the story a lot, the hint system is very useful and well organized and I think the puzzles are great - they won't drive you mad, they'll just force you to think a little more, and more, and more... In the end, the good things makes up for the minuses.

The environments are pretty standard, but the thing that matters most in this game is the story.

The game might be a little too much if you're new to Interactive Fiction, although the hint system works fine. I recommend the game to everyone but the absolute beginner to Interactive Fiction.

If you enjoyed The Big Scoop...