Play online

The Thing About Dungeons

by Brendan Patrick Hennessy profile

Adventure

An interactive short story (about dungeons).

Language: English (en-CA)
First Publication Date: March 15, 2013
License: Free
Forgiveness Rating: Nasty
TUID: 5bnbfhwjmb8baqcs

Jokey walls-o'-text by a great author. Pretty linear story about roguelikes/RPGs, February 3, 2016
Hennessy has some very good twine games, but I didn't feel like this is one. It still has metaphorical meaning, an interesting 'cover story', good narrative voice, etc. like his other games. The story is about a dungeon, and about rpgs and dungeons in general.

However, one of the games features is that every link provides a huge wall of often repetitive text. Also, the narrative voice is jokey/juvenile, whichI personally don't enjoy very much in a game.

Overall, this is an above average twine game, but I don't recommend it. I strongly recommend the other games by the author.

Buggy, somewhat Jokey CYOA, January 21, 2016
When I found The Thing About Dungeons at textadventures.co.uk, I'm not sure what I was expecting. Whatever it was, The Thing About Dungeons didn't deliver. Yeah, the text is somewhat humorous. Other than that, the game is rather buggy: The displayed text is littered with "bad condition" errors, references to different "paths" through the story ((Spoiler - click to show)warrior path Vs. wizard path). Therefore, the game came across as a bit confusing. (Spoiler - click to show)Why, at one point, it told me that the rabbet demon, which I had just killed, was coming closer and that I had better run away. At the end of the game, it said that the somehow-resurrected rabety thing ripped my heart out. Perhaps this game would be better if the author removed the bugs. It could also do with an extension; most of the game is spent reading about the "actions" I performed to get to the bottom floor; I would've preferred to choose whether to kill Monster X than to read "You killed monster X and stole treasure Y." You see, The Thing About Dungeons is that it's a game in need of major improvement.

Funny story subverting RPG tropes, December 4, 2013
This is a fun, short CYOA story that offers a humorous pastiche of RPG tropes.

Hennessy is a good writer, employing colloquialisms in a way that sells the parody/satire of this piece.

This isn't a challenging or difficult piece, but rather a fun, light-hearted narrative which is easy to enjoy.

If you enjoyed The Thing About Dungeons...