tildeath.gam
original competition entry

Till Death Makes a Monk-Fish Out of Me

by Mike Sousa profile and Jon Ingold profile

2002

Dr. Taylor's looking worried. Dr. Kurner's looking exhausted. Zak is grinning with glee. Today is the big day, and you're about to try out the crowning experiment of your life, and in AtlantisLab's chequered history. It's just a shame that it's not going to work. And you're unlikely to stay alive through the consequences. TILL DEATH... and then some.

Language: English (en-US)
Baf's Guide ID: 1914
IFIDs:  TADS2-71DE9465A3B3077D37BC2D9850AC6254
TADS2-2BDE7675C3DEF49D7F223B7B790CBA88
TUID: 48sc0ktuskuy0cay

Nominee, Best Game; Nominee, Best Writing; Nominee, Best Story; Nominee, Best Individual Puzzle - 2002 XYZZY Awards

2nd Place overall; 1st Place, Miss Congeniality Awards - 8th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2002)

So we're talking about a pretty phenomenal game, here. In fact, almost depressingly so, given that I'm an entrant this year and TDMAMOOM is miles better than my game. It's not perfect, mind. I found a few spelling and grammar errors, and there were times I wished for clearer descriptions of events and objects. But those flaws are minor and cosmetic, and they do nothing to change the fact that this is a damn good game. Bravo.

Life after death after death after death...mid-length puzzle game, February 3, 2016
Monk-fish is a mid-length puzzle-y game in which you must deal with the after-effects of a failed scientific experiment. You explore an underwater base, encounter monk-fish, and generally have to puzzle out a very enjoyable story with vague similarities to Ingold's All Roads game.

The game is vaguely futuristic, somewhat like Walker and Silhouette. It gave me several laugh-out-loud moments.

This game was nominated for Best Game, Best Writing, Best Story, and Best Individual Puzzle. The puzzle it was nominated for was discovering a password, and is one of those 'to get A, you need B. So you get B, but first you have to do C, which you must have D to make sense of'. It is very, very fun, although I couldn't do step 'D' (whichever step that was).

The plot reminded me of a lot of TV shows going on right now where the protagonists is partly dead or partly alive.

Featured on Radio K #2, April 28, 2015
by Adam Cadre (Albany, California)
Zoe Friedland and I discuss Till Death Makes a Monk-Fish Out of Me! at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o98QKRf1iM#t=34m48s

If you enjoyed Till Death Makes a Monk-Fish Out of Me...

People who like Till Death Makes a Monk-Fish Out of Me also gave high ratings to these games:

In the End, by Joe Mason
Your best friend has just died, and life drags on miserably. Would death be better than this? [--blurb from The Z-Files Catalogue]

The Horrible Pyramid, by Ryan Veeder
Something weird is going on in this pyramid.

Fish Bowl, by Ethan Rupp and Joshua Rupp
You are a beachcomber living by the shore. Today, you wake to find an empty fish bowl in your home, and don't remember how it got there. You try to piece your memory back together, but soon learn what the old maps meant: Here there be...

Till Death Makes a Monk-Fish Out of Me appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Annotated list of best sci-fi games by MathBrush
A few months ago, I thought, "There really aren't that many sci-fi IF games". Then I started going through old games I had played, and downlaoded TADS, and was shocked at how many great sci-fi games there are. This is a list of my...

IF that's a pleasure to READ by Maureen
I have a soft spot for "literary" IF. Good writing can draw me into a story that doesn't really have much game to it, and amateur writing can wreck an otherwise good game. That's not to say I like puzzle-less IF or text dumps. I enjoy...

IF for a laugh by Maze
A list of games that will make you laugh. Most of them are very short, but there are a few longer ones. The order is in term of *laughs*, top to bottom.

The following polls include votes for Till Death Makes a Monk-Fish Out of Me:

Games with an abrupt and unexpected ending twist by dutchmule
I'm looking for games which, as in a lot of short stories, feature a sudden and unexpected revelation/twist at the very end of the game, that possibly changes your interpretation of what the game was really all about. (but please be...

Best sci-fi games by Ant-Fan
I'm looking for games from the sci-fi genre. I would prefer classic-style games, even if they're not classics (such as 'Across The Stars') because one of my all-time favorites is Planetfall, but really, anything goes.

Fast-paced action scenes by Juhana
Fast-paced action is something that's notoriously hard to do in IF where waiting for player's input necessarily pauses the game every turn. Which games have succeeded in creating action scenes that convey the sense of urgency, danger and...

This is version 7 of this page, edited by Mike Sousa on 7 February 2016 at 8:57am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item