Stink or Swim

2009

- Floating Info, April 29, 2013

- Mr. Patient (Saint Paul, Minn.), September 30, 2010

Making short work of a skunk , May 7, 2010
by Felix Larsson (Gothenburg, Sweden)
Related reviews: gambol, [6]
The author of Snack Time! puts herself under Speed IF restrictions (“I’ve got three hours to write a game about … an olympic medalist, a public bath and a skunk), and this is the result. Like most any Speed IF the result is, I suppose, a trifle; but this one is a pleasurable trifle to while away a few minutes.

You play a former olympic medalist, now swimming instructor, who has to get a skunk out of the pool. Removing the skunk is the one puzzle of the game. I guess it will not present many difficulties even to an absolute beginner. But the writing is pleasing, the skunk is cute, there are footnotes to the text (and I love footnotes), and there’s even a certain amount of psychological development on the part of the protagonist who comes to grips with certain aspects of her olympic past.

Fun and frustration in equal measure., April 25, 2009
by gruelove (UK)
Related reviews: funny
An entertaining little piece which left me a little dis-satisfied. I tend to get tired quite quickly of IF that leaves me high and dry. I personally didn't find the hints offered much that I hadn't already thought to try anyway(to no avail). Being more of a story oriented player than a lover of puzzles it may be that I am being a little harsh.

All things being as they are, this is an amusing piece of IF that I will no doubt do battle with from time to time. Would have given it 4 stars if not for the lack of 'useful' hints.

Enjoyable.

A quickie, but underclued, January 28, 2009
by Ron Newcomb (Seattle)
It's a good thing it has a built-in hint system, else I wouldn't be able to finish it. Focused on one puzzle doing somersaults in your 'ool (notice there is no Stink in it; please keep it that way) the game introduces itself then leaves you bereft. Be sure to examine everything.

Short and Endearing, January 28, 2009
by Molly (USA)
A short, charming game by the creator of Snack Time! The writing shares the same style of wit and whimsy with the previous game. Sadly, I couldn't rate it as highly as I could have, due to getting stuck on some of the puzzles, but then I'm not much of a puzzle solver, and anyway there's an in-game hint system if you need help. Overall I'd say that if you liked Snack Time! you should definitely give this game a shot.