This file contains the same game as the .zblorb (although it does not contain extras, like cover art) and is provided for interpreters that don't play .zblorb files.

Snack Time!

by Hardy the Bulldog and Renee Choba profile

2008

Can you help one hungry bulldog in his quest to find something good to eat? He would like that. A lot. [blurb from IF Comp 2008]

First Publication Date: October 1, 2008
IFID: 12546339-D4E6-433D-8658-5F69A585446B
TUID: yr3y8s9k8e40hl5q

6th Place - 14th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2008)

Nominee, Best NPCs; Nominee, Best Individual NPC; Winner, Best Individual PC - 2008 XYZZY Awards

Snack Time! is a fine example of the good made great. You play the authorial bulldog. In a charming twist, though, you view your human caretaker as your own dimwitted but lovable pet who you must influence with your canine abilities in order to satisfy your munchies. This is a simple game with a simple story, but I loved every minute of it. It is a brief adventure, to be sure [...] but it is often hilarious and rewarding. (by Nate Dovel)

A charming dogís eye view on having a snack, April 23, 2010
by Felix Larsson (Gothenburg, Sweden)
Related reviews: truce, [8]
A truly delightful little game!

You are a dog and youíre hungry. Itís not dinner time in many hours, so you need a snack. Unfortunately, youíre not very good at making sandwiches, so you must get your human pet to make one for you.

The puzzles are quite easy, but itís not the challenges that make this game but the consistent dogís eye view of and on everything. Dog is the measure of all things in this game: canine interests permeates every single description of the game world. What makes the game so charming is the way Choba (the author) exploits the fact that Hardy (the dog-PC) has a set of concepts that doesnít quite match the human playerís. For that purpose, a dozen words are worth a thousand perfect 3D-renderings.

(By the way, the same thing was done—to the same charming effect—by Admiral Jota in Lost Pig … and to a totally different but equally great effect in Shiovitzís Bad Machine and even in Granadeís IF version of Pong!)

More actions are implemented. I missed most of them first time playing the game. So, if you manage your snack too quickly, chances are that you can have some replay value for dessert.

A bite-sized treat, November 23, 2008
by Ron Newcomb (Seattle)
It can be a dog-eat-dog world out there. All Hardy dreams of is a dog-eat-sandwich world. But alas, his pet human is asleep on the couch again!

Snack Time! is a light-hearted little work where we play as Hardy the Bulldog and his epic, ten-minute, house-spanning quest to get something good to eat. Of course, lacking opposable thumbs makes things a little less straightforward than they should be. And so begin the puzzles, all of which are pretty easy.

No frustrations here save for the tummy grumbling, Snack Time! is a recipe for pure giggles.

(And Dino wins my Best Prop Of 2008 award!)

Spot-On Animal Game!, April 12, 2010
by Danielle (The Wild West)
Related reviews: animal games
When I played RALPH and A DAY FOR SOFT FOOD, I was hoping for a couple of great animal games, where I could slip out of the human mindset and check out a different perspective on life.

But I felt both the abovementioned games suffered from hard-to-comprehend puzzles and really hostile NPC owners ruining the fun.

So what a delight when I picked up SNACK TIME! It's not very big, no, but I had a lot of fun exploring the little apartment from the Hardy's POV. It has a lot of cute humor sprinkled throughout.

The action for the last point wouldn't have occurred to me, but that's a nitpick from me.

If you love animals, you've got to give this one a try.

If you enjoyed Snack Time!...

Other members recommend these games for people who like Snack Time!, or gave both high ratings:

Stink or Swim, by Renee Choba
The only entry in a personal Speed-IF challenge. The Olympic medalist, skunk, and public bathing one.

Bolivia By Night, by Aidan Doyle
A mystery adventure game set in Bolivia.

Damnatio Memoriae, by Emily Short
14 AD. Agrippa Postumus, grandson of the recently-deceased Augustus, tries to avoid death at the hands of the next emperor, Tiberius. At his disposal: a couple of old manuscripts, a lamp, and a recalcitrant slave. And a powerful...

Snack Time! appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Favorite Games by Ron Newcomb
Quality games friendly to those of us new to Interactive Fiction and who would have little patience with the text adventures of old.

The following polls include votes for Snack Time!:

Non-human Perspectives by Tigrita
I'm looking for IF narrated by aliens, animals, anything.

Games suitable for children by msousa
My 10 year old twins recently "discovered" IF. They fell in love with Grunk and are asking for more games to play. I've searched BAF and have some ideas, but figured I would give this poll a shot since there are hundreds and hundreds of...

PC's personality integrated with the story by JasonMel
I would like to be able to recommend to someone many examples of interactive fiction in which the player character is far from a cipher or an everyman or everywoman, but is instead a character with a definite personality within a game...

This is version 6 of this page, edited by Nate Dovel on 13 July 2009 at 12:28pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item