This file contains the same game as the .zblorb (although it does not contain extras, like cover art) and is provided for interpreters that don't play .zblorb files.

Snack Time!

by Hardy the Bulldog and Renee Choba profile

Can you help one hungry bulldog in his quest to find something good to eat? He would like that. A lot. [blurb from IF Comp 2008]

First Publication Date: October 1, 2008
IFID: 12546339-D4E6-433D-8658-5F69A585446B
TUID: yr3y8s9k8e40hl5q

6th Place - 14th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2008)

Nominee, Best NPCs; Nominee, Best Individual NPC; Winner, Best Individual PC - 2008 XYZZY Awards

Snack Time! is a fine example of the good made great. You play the authorial bulldog. In a charming twist, though, you view your human caretaker as your own dimwitted but lovable pet who you must influence with your canine abilities in order to satisfy your munchies. This is a simple game with a simple story, but I loved every minute of it. It is a brief adventure, to be sure [...] but it is often hilarious and rewarding. (by Nate Dovel)

A charming dog’s eye view on having a snack, April 23, 2010
by Felix Larsson (Gothenburg, Sweden)
Related reviews: truce, [8]
A truly delightful little game!

You are a dog and you’re hungry. It’s not dinner time in many hours, so you need a snack. Unfortunately, you’re not very good at making sandwiches, so you must get your human pet to make one for you.

The puzzles are quite easy, but it’s not the challenges that make this game but the consistent dog’s eye view of and on everything. Dog is the measure of all things in this game: canine interests permeates every single description of the game world. What makes the game so charming is the way Choba (the author) exploits the fact that Hardy (the dog-PC) has a set of concepts that doesn’t quite match the human player’s. For that purpose, a dozen words are worth a thousand perfect 3D-renderings.

(By the way, the same thing was done—to the same charming effect—by Admiral Jota in Lost Pig … and to a totally different but equally great effect in Shiovitz’s Bad Machine and even in Granade’s IF version of Pong!)

More actions are implemented. I missed most of them first time playing the game. So, if you manage your snack too quickly, chances are that you can have some replay value for dessert.

A bite-sized treat, November 23, 2008
by Ron Newcomb (Seattle)
It can be a dog-eat-dog world out there. All Hardy dreams of is a dog-eat-sandwich world. But alas, his pet human is asleep on the couch again!

Snack Time! is a light-hearted little work where we play as Hardy the Bulldog and his epic, ten-minute, house-spanning quest to get something good to eat. Of course, lacking opposable thumbs makes things a little less straightforward than they should be. And so begin the puzzles, all of which are pretty easy.

No frustrations here save for the tummy grumbling, Snack Time! is a recipe for pure giggles.

(And Dino wins my Best Prop Of 2008 award!)

Spot-On Animal Game!, April 12, 2010
by Danielle (The Wild West)
Related reviews: animal games
When I played RALPH and A DAY FOR SOFT FOOD, I was hoping for a couple of great animal games, where I could slip out of the human mindset and check out a different perspective on life.

But I felt both the abovementioned games suffered from hard-to-comprehend puzzles and really hostile NPC owners ruining the fun.

So what a delight when I picked up SNACK TIME! It's not very big, no, but I had a lot of fun exploring the little apartment from the Hardy's POV. It has a lot of cute humor sprinkled throughout.

The action for the last point wouldn't have occurred to me, but that's a nitpick from me.

If you love animals, you've got to give this one a try.

If you enjoyed Snack Time!...

Other members recommend these games for people who like Snack Time!, or gave both high ratings:

Stink or Swim, by Renee Choba
The only entry in a personal Speed-IF challenge. The Olympic medalist, skunk, and public bathing one.

The Primrose Path, by Nolan Bonvouloir
You've been having a series of nightmares about Leo, standing at the edge of a cliff. No matter what you do, a bell rings and Leo disappears over the edge . . .

Six Gray Rats Crawl Up The Pillow, by Caleb Wilson (as Boswell Cain)
A distressing episode in the life of Rinaldo di Gorgonzola.

Snack Time! appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Favorite Games by Ron Newcomb
Quality games friendly to those of us new to Interactive Fiction and who would have little patience with the text adventures of old.

The following polls include votes for Snack Time!:

Games with stupid player characters by murphy_slaw
I'm looking for games where the player character is significantly stupider and/or less observant than the average player - the kind of game where part of the challenge is making sense of the descriptions offered through the simplistic...

Oh, You BEAST: Games where you're an animal! by Ghalev
I know of a small handful of games where you play a beast, and I want to know of more. (By beast I mean a cat, a dog, a chicken, an orangutan, that kind of thing ... not looking for mythical monsters and not looking for part-timers, so...

Lost Pig type puzzle complexity by Mostly Useless
I haven't played a lot of IF, as I'm often put off by what are (for me) difficult puzzles. Without doubt the most satisfaction I've had from finishing a game has been Admiral Jota's Lost Pig, and I would love to hear about other games...

This is version 6 of this page, edited by Nate Dovel on 13 July 2009 at 12:28pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item