Rematch

- PVince81 (Germany), May 8, 2016

- Rollersnake (Rogers, AR), May 1, 2016

- E. W. B., February 23, 2016

A one-room, one-action game with more than meets the eye, February 3, 2016
I had heard of this game years before I played it. I didn't have a TADS interpreter, and I was only using mobile, so I just read the walkthrough and felt I understood the game.

So when I finally got an interpreter and played the game, I was in the odd position of having known the solution for years but not knowing the game.

The game is much more than its solution.

The variety in the game comes from two sources: the players choice of actions, and a surprising variety of random "reshuffling" of the environment with every restart.

The environmental cues make the games complicated parser much easier to understand. The NPC's will say "so and so said ....", which tells you things you can say, and so on. You discover new characters as you try different directions and options. There is a lot to discover, if you don't focus on just playing the game. There is also a large "amusing" list at the end.

Reset, retry, repeat, September 5, 2015
I didn't mind the red herrings or the guesswork, but the solution (though sufficiently-clued) is contrived and relies more on inferring the author's weird rules than sensible problem-solving. Certain actions (such as ones involving violence) have unrealistically mild or useless results, and other actions that seem like easy solutions are disallowed for no good reason. I don't mind solving a puzzle for its own sake, but I'd prefer one with a consistent tone and an interesting setting. The grim premise made me expect something much darker, but it ends up being a mismatch against the goofiness of the solution. The title is also wasted--the competition in question is really just another red herring. Complaints aside, the author did succeed in designing a challenging one-turn puzzle, so I have to give credit for competent novelty.

- Thrax, March 11, 2015