Story File (zblorb)

The Legend of the Missing Hat

by Adri profile

Humor
2012

A tiny story about four tiny ninjas and a tiny top hat.

First Publication Date: June 11, 2012
IFID: CF3C2188-C9D1-4732-84EB-8AFD522766B9
TUID: 1l4hjsvaw13r4fpk

Entrant - Cover Stories

As advertised: tiny, June 17, 2012
by Emily Short
Related reviews: cover stories
This is an extremely short, extremely easy puzzle game, as advertised: I think it took me between five and ten minutes to play completely. It's sweet and cheerful, and takes place on a miniaturized landscape, as the main character is a ninja perhaps a half-inch tall.

Implementation and scenery are not as deep as in, say, Sara Dee's "Mite" or Ryan Veeder's "You've Got a Stew Going!", but the central concept is similar, in that familiar household objects and critters function differently when the scale is drastically altered.

Short and cute, June 11, 2013
Title pretty much says it. Super cute game, super short. I think part of the adorableness is imagining everything at the scale described in the game. Just trying to picture the tiny little ninjas made me happy. I liked that they were also given their own little personalities with the bit of dialogue they had.

I loved it, but you need to know what you're in for. Takes maybe about 10 minutes. The "puzzles" are very straightforward and the game dialogue guides you through pretty well.

A cute, short game about four tiny ninjas in a bedroom, June 7, 2016
This game was entered in the cover stories competition, where cover art was provided first, and games were developed based on them.

You play as a tiny ninja that lives under a bed. You're job is to go around the room, cheering up your comrades one at a time in a classic linear type puzzle system.

The writing is compact and cute, and the game is short. I recommend it for a light snack. I did get stuck at the very end.

If you enjoyed The Legend of the Missing Hat...

Other members recommend these games for people who like The Legend of the Missing Hat, or gave both high ratings:

A Bear's Night Out, by David Dyte
"Tomorrow is the big Teddy Bear party, and you must definitely not let your owner forget about it..." [--blurb from The Z-Files Catalogue]

Guttersnipe: Carnival of Regrets, by Bitter Karella
Guttersnipe: Carnival of Regrets is a humorously grotesque (or grotesquely humorous) game about a circa 1929 street urchin and her pet sewer rat trying to survive a trip through a dark carnival full of sin, secrets, and murderous clowns....

Reset, by Autumn Nicole Bradley
Always trust your Administratrix. Willing but unwitting, one citizen experiences the new possibilities of kink in a transhuman cyborg future.

The Legend of the Missing Hat appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Cute games by MathBrush
These are games which are cute and/or sweet, in the sense that they are pleasant, relaxing, appropriate for children, or meant to warm your heart. This doesn't include absurdist games or more traditional fairy tales with strong elements...

Fun and funny by Shadow Fox
These are games that captured my attention and made me laugh. All of them are lighthearted, most of them are funny, and one is just plain cute.

The following polls include votes for The Legend of the Missing Hat:

Lost Pig type puzzle complexity by Mostly Useless
I haven't played a lot of IF, as I'm often put off by what are (for me) difficult puzzles. Without doubt the most satisfaction I've had from finishing a game has been Admiral Jota's Lost Pig, and I would love to hear about other games...

Games for language learners by Emily Boegheim
What are some good games for people trying to learn another language? I imagine that short games with relatively simple prose and not too many non-standard commands (if they're parser games) would work best, but feel free to suggest...

Best Short Games (5-60 minutes) by Sasha Davidovna
I'm pretty new to IF and am having a lot of fun, but in between a toddler and a job and other real life stuff, I'm having trouble finding time to finish many of the longer games I want to play. Can you please recommend me some fun and/or...

This is version 6 of this page, edited by genericgeekgirl on 13 November 2014 at 9:49am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item