smoochie.zip
Contains dark.z5
For all systems. To play, you'll need a Z-Machine Interpreter - visit Brass Lantern for download links. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)
Walkthrough and map
by David Welbourn

Dead of Winter

by Gunther Schmidl

Fantasy/Romance
2001

In this short story that's part romance and part tragedy, you play as a young woman. A week ago, the Ice Queen stole your boyfriend from your bed, leaving a snowflake in his place. Now, you stand outside her cave, wondering what you must do to get her to give him back.

IFID: ZCODE-1-010104-1898
TUID: 7datxqc6cdlj3p6u

Interesting Piece, June 28, 2010
by tggdan3 (Michigan)
This is a straightforward quick game. Your man was stolen by the ice queen and you have to go get him.

There are no puzzles exactly, you just walk to the next room and talk to the NPC who will give you an option and you choose whether or not to take them up on it.

The end of the game (Spoiler - click to show) is a lot like shade, where you realize it was all a dream leaves you wondering what was the point, I suppose.

The best games to compare this to would be shade, or 9:05. It's straightforward like 9:05, where you basically walk to the end and see a big reveal. Shade had more going on, more of a gradual reveal, where as this one kind of throws it all at you at the end out of nowhere.

Still, the writing is nice, definately worth a play. It should take you no more than 5-10 minutes to get through.

A very short, strange piece, August 21, 2009
I have no idea what to make of this. You can finish it in under 10 minutes, and it seems to have two endings. I can tell how the endings are different, but not why. The story has a fantasy beginning, but the good ending doesn't entirely make sense; only the bad one does. Really, I just don't know what to make of this game. I won't call it bad or unpolished just...I don't get it.

If you enjoyed Dead of Winter...