So, You've Never Played a Text .zblorb
Online Play
Play in-browser at the author's website.

So, You've Never Played a Text Adventure Before, Huh?

by Ryan Veeder profile

Robin Monaghan and her friends explore a creepy house.

First Publication Date: April 2, 2014
IFID: AA10EEA5-005A-4D4B-BE7E-C2C81DF1AD84
TUID: z9mk3i7w95wtdqnz

A Robin and Orchid spinoff as a tutorial, July 22, 2017
This review is part of the Official Ryan Veeder Weekend Review Communal Effort with Guaranteed Prize.

This is a spin-off of Robin and Orchid. You are investigating a haunted house, and fall down a hole.

The best part of the game is the demonstration of the three main methods of conversation.

The least best part of the game is the hinting. While it is generally good, there were times where the hints just kind of kicked out at important moments. The inexperienced adventurer that I was playing as got frustrated at not, for instance, knowing how to get through the door.

I enjoyed the ending considerably, though.

A gentle, fun introduction, March 12, 2017
by mattlaschneider
Related reviews: tutorial
This a a good introduction to a lot of the basic elements that players will encounter in a variety of parser-based IF. Veeder's strong voice works well here, as it makes the sometimes-daunting idea of IF into something fun and conversational. I found the game to be a bit shorter than I would've expected (by no means is it anything like The Dreamhold), but some new players might appreciate being able to complete this game relatively quickly. Seasoned players will be able to enjoy a lot of the small touches Veeder puts into the game, such as the status line updates.

If you enjoyed So, You've Never Played a Text Adventure Before, Huh?...

People who like So, You've Never Played a Text Adventure Before, Huh? also gave high ratings to these games:

Earth and Sky, by Paul O'Brian
It's been almost a month since your parents disappeared. One Tuesday, they just didn't come home, and there's been no sign of them since. For the University and the rest of the town, the mystery is beginning to pall. To those people,...

Fingertips: Leave Me Alone, by Kevin Jackson-Mead

Tuuli, by Daurmith and Ruber Eaglenest
"The old witch, your teacher Mákke, is dead. If you want to save your village you'll have to destroy the raiding fleet that's coming. Can you do it, young Lenne-who-would-be-the-witch?" ---------- Mákke, la vieja bruja del pueblo y tu...

The following polls include votes for So, You've Never Played a Text Adventure Before, Huh?:

Games for Beginners by WriterBob
I'm looking for games that are suited for adults who are new to IF. My purpose is to share these games with friends and let them get experience IF without being frustrated by mazes or guess-the-verb issues. Please avoid children's games....

Best Short Games (5-60 minutes) by Sasha Davidovna
I'm pretty new to IF and am having a lot of fun, but in between a toddler and a job and other real life stuff, I'm having trouble finding time to finish many of the longer games I want to play. Can you please recommend me some fun and/or...

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Ryan Veeder on 24 April 2014 at 3:46pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item