So, You've Never Played a Text .zblorb
Online Play
Play in-browser at the author's website.

So, You've Never Played a Text Adventure Before, Huh?

by Ryan Veeder profile

Robin Monaghan and her friends explore a creepy house.

First Publication Date: April 2, 2014
IFID: AA10EEA5-005A-4D4B-BE7E-C2C81DF1AD84
TUID: z9mk3i7w95wtdqnz

A Robin and Orchid spinoff as a tutorial, July 22, 2017
This review is part of the Official Ryan Veeder Weekend Review Communal Effort with Guaranteed Prize.

This is a spin-off of Robin and Orchid. You are investigating a haunted house, and fall down a hole.

The best part of the game is the demonstration of the three main methods of conversation.

The least best part of the game is the hinting. While it is generally good, there were times where the hints just kind of kicked out at important moments. The inexperienced adventurer that I was playing as got frustrated at not, for instance, knowing how to get through the door.

I enjoyed the ending considerably, though.

A gentle, fun introduction, March 12, 2017
by mattlaschneider
Related reviews: tutorial
This a a good introduction to a lot of the basic elements that players will encounter in a variety of parser-based IF. Veeder's strong voice works well here, as it makes the sometimes-daunting idea of IF into something fun and conversational. I found the game to be a bit shorter than I would've expected (by no means is it anything like The Dreamhold), but some new players might appreciate being able to complete this game relatively quickly. Seasoned players will be able to enjoy a lot of the small touches Veeder puts into the game, such as the status line updates.

If you enjoyed So, You've Never Played a Text Adventure Before, Huh?...

People who like So, You've Never Played a Text Adventure Before, Huh? also gave high ratings to these games:

Tethered, by Linus Åkesson
"I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man."...

Run, Bronwynn, Run!, by Larry Horsfield
Average member rating: (1 rating)
You, Princess Bronwynn of Alizon, learn that your parents plan to marry you off to Prince Timothy, the middle-aged son of the King and Queen of Karsten, a neighbouring kingdom.

First Things First, by J. Robinson Wheeler
You’ve just arrived at home from your nightly visit to the science and invention section of the local public library, where you spend each night dreaming your dreamy dreams of one day inventing a time travel machine. Tonight, for some...

The following polls include votes for So, You've Never Played a Text Adventure Before, Huh?:

Games for Beginners by WriterBob
I'm looking for games that are suited for adults who are new to IF. My purpose is to share these games with friends and let them get experience IF without being frustrated by mazes or guess-the-verb issues. Please avoid children's games....

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Ryan Veeder on 24 April 2014 at 3:46pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item