Gblorb file

For the Moon Never Beams

by J. Michael

Springtime, 1993. Prom night. A lonely road on the way to the big dance. This should be a magical evening, but your date suddenly seems distant and withdrawn. Is it something you said? Or perhaps something more sinister is going on...

First Publication Date: October 1, 2019
Forgiveness Rating: Cruel
IFID: 14D6D04C-29C1-42C5-BE10-4E6D60E3977C
TUID: ypdaxuepuej0q1gu

22nd Place - 25th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2019)

A compact teen horror game with difficult puzzles , November 19, 2019
Related reviews: about 2 hours
I beta-tested this game.

This game is is a horror story that effectively borrows elements of both games and pop-culture from the 80s. This is a monster-focused horror game set with two kids driving the boy's car to prom, with the date wearing the boy's ring. It brings to mind the music video for Thriller or parts of Back to the Future.

Gameplay-wise, this has elements from older games as well. There are numerous timers on the game (including one that killed me off at 70 points as I was playing the competition version), a maze, and a complex machinery.

I like this game, both as a tester and as a player. It can get frustrating at times, though. I recommend playing past the first scene and seeing if you like the overall feel of the game or not.

Deadly horror puzzler, December 27, 2019
by Stian
Related reviews: IFComp 2019
For the Moon Never Beams is a tricky horror puzzler, though most of the trickiness comes from not really knowing what you are supposed to achieve, rather than from being easily devoured. I would have appreciated some inner thoughts from the protagonist giving clues about the end goal. Should I flee or should I fight? Is there hope of salvation at the end? After having played it twice (earning 10 and 70 points out of 100, respectively) I still have no clue. This, I felt, was also its greatest weakness. On the other hand, both the writing and the implementation are solid, and the pacing emphasized by a constant fear of dying is great.

If you enjoyed For the Moon Never Beams...

People who like For the Moon Never Beams also gave high ratings to these games:

She's Got a Thing for a Spring, by Brent VanFossen
It's been a hectic year, and it's time to get away. He told you that, and you agreed. Now you're here, in a grove of aspen, and long for a good, long bath in the nearby hot spring. [--blurb from The Z-Files Catalogue]

Dinner with Andre, by Liza Daly
"A date by candlelight in a fine restaurant. Should be a perfect evening." [--blurb from Competition Aught-Zero]

Kurusu City, by Kevin Venzke
An IFComp 2004 Entry

The following polls include votes for For the Moon Never Beams:

For your consideration: XYZZY-eligible Best Individual NPCs of 2019 by MathBrush
This is for suggesting games released in 2019 which you think might be worth considering for Best Individual NPC in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination.This is not an official list. The point of poll is partly to...

This is version 4 of this page, edited by MathBrush on 22 June 2020 at 4:20pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item