IFComp 2015 release
For all systems. To play, you'll need a TADS 3 Interpreter - visit tads.org for interpreter downloads.
Walkthrough

Koustrea's Contentment

by Jeremy Pflasterer

A tiny community of immortals receives a newcomer named Koustrea, who makes an unsettling discovery while struggling to find a paradisial niche, as the others have long ago.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2015
TUID: y9a9617r5hmsl7f1

15th Place - 21st Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2015)

A long TADS game about immortals and ennui, February 3, 2016
Related reviews: IF Comp 2015
This game was the longest game entered in IFComp 2015, and I enjoyed it. It is complex and long, and well-detailed.

The game is centered around the tedium of immortality. You find yourself a brand new immortal, in a sort of retirement home or country club for immortals. Each has immersed themselves into some sort of activity, whether artistic endeavors, sports, art, or insanity.

The game has a very ancient and purposely static feeling. It implements a 'zz' command that lets you wait for a very long time. It has a few puzzles requiring long patience, and repetitive actions.

This all meshes very well with the story, and when things finally start changing, it makes it more exciting.

Overall, the feeling of this game was similar to the Myst series, but with more people. I recommend it.

Haunting, Funny, and Challenging, November 23, 2015
by BA
Related reviews: IF Comp 2015

Koustrea's Contentment is an evocative, funny, and challenging work that is impressive on a number of levels, and it is obvious that great effort went into making it so special. I judged it during the 2015 IF Comp, which limited play forming the basis of judging to two hours, and finished it more quickly than I would have otherwise, after a while making heavy use of an abbreviated walkthrough that the author provided. As a result, I would like to give the work more time in order to look for more connections that would help me understand its story and challenging puzzles more thoroughly. None of this, however, prevented me from appreciating the ending.

Other writers have discussed possible improvements that could be made, and I have seen the author take positive and negative feedback seriously and with appreciation. However, I am emphasizing the work's many strengths out of a desire that more people might find the kind of joy and satisfaction from the work that I did.

The work has excellent technical implementation and a house full of oddly and wonderfully named characters that resonated with me. In particular, the things that one character said amid the sounds that surrounded him I found particularly spot on, in a way that both made me laugh and disturbed me. That feeling reflects the work as a whole: haunting and humorous, fun to play and thought-provoking. Its original and otherworldly setting hints at insights about our own world. By the way, how intriguing, at its beginning, to find a majestic stone hall containing images of such things as an owl, a jukebox, and a pinball machine!

If you enjoyed Koustrea's Contentment...

People who like Koustrea's Contentment also gave high ratings to these games:

Absturzmomente, by Jörg Rosenbauer
You climb a mountain without any equipment and plunge down into the depths. The free fall ends in a pact with a voice from beyond: To spare your life you have to save some person's life. Henceforth, you have to prevent a murder in a...

Birdland, by Brendan Patrick Hennessy
Fourteen-year-old Bridget's summer camp experience takes a turn for the bizarre when her otherworldly bird dreams start bleeding into reality.

Bloodless on the Orient Express, by Hannes Schueller
1899: On the way to your well-earned summer vacation, the Orient Express gets stuck in a snow drift – and there is a murderer on board. Time to get out of your coffin and investigate!

The following polls include votes for Koustrea's Contentment:

For Your Consideration - XYZZY-eligible implementations of 2015 by Brendan Patrick Hennessy
This is for games released in 2015 which you think might be worth considering for Best Implementation in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination. The category will still be text-entry, and games not mentioned here will...

For Your Consideration - XYZZY-eligible NPCs of 2015 by verityvirtue
This is for suggesting non-player characters from games released 2015 who you think might be worth considering for Best NPCs/Best Individual NPC in the XYZZY awards. Leave the name (or namelessness) of the NPC (or NPCs) in the comment on...

For Your Consideration - XYZZY-eligible settings of 2015 by verityvirtue
This is for suggesting settings from games released 2015 which you think might be worth considering for Best Setting in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination. The category will still be text-entry, and games not...

This is version 4 of this page, edited by dream on 19 December 2015 at 6:17pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item