Abandon Them

by Alan Beyersdorf

Folklore/Fairytale, Drama

What exactly happened during the fairy tale of Hansel and Gretel? How do we separate the fantasy of the folklore from the realities of starvation and abandonment?

While often viewed as a fantasy story, my intention was to view this story from a psychological perspective.

If you were a character in their story, what sorts of choices would you make?

First Publication Date: October 1, 2019
TUID: vwzr3t7c4yx4nlgn

An illustrated, short game dealing with the moral choices in Hansel and Gretel, October 5, 2019
This is an interesting game. It has custom art and animations in the Godot engine. You play as three characters (well, four characters, but two are at the same time) as you go through the story.

It is very short, with just a few screens and one choice per screen.

It's a philosophical game. In the beginning (which I now realize presaged the end), you are asked to abandon the characters as soon as the game is over (hence the name).

I realize now as I write this that (in regards to that ending) (Spoiler - click to show)I was surprised and annoyed that the game just stops in the middle. I wanted to know more. But isn't that the whole point? That I had promised to not care?

So it is clever, but it left me feeling frustrated. Also, I feel like it could do better in its choices; for a few options, none of them were things I'd like to do.

This is version 1 of this page, edited by MathBrush on 5 October 2019 at 8:28pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item