Story file
Apple II version
Apple II Application (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

Back In Time

by Stella MacDonald

Educational
1984

While riding home on the school bus after a trip to The Natural History Museum, the player falls asleep. They wake up, having been transported back to the time of the dinosaurs. The player's goal is to explore the prehistoric world, and search out the numerous dinosaurs which roam there. As the player seeks out and encounters dinosaurs, they are tasked with naming them, and receive points for correctly naming the creatures. There are also inventory-based puzzles to challenge the player, making it difficult to reach more dinosaurs. - MobyGames

License: Commercial (Out of Print)
TUID: vg66cyd06402883a

An educational dinosaur game for kids with graphics, July 21, 2020
Related reviews: 2-10 hours
I played this game on this Apple II emulator: https://www.scullinsteel.com/apple2/

It's a parser game with one or more custom images per location. The parser isn't super responsive by modern standards but is reasonably understandable.

Beyond normal puzzles (like capturing a lizard or shooting an allosaurus with an improvised slingshot), each time you meet a dinosaur you have to type in its name. If you get it wrong, it zooms in and gives you a hint. Getting it wrong again makes it tell you to look at the Dinosaur Handbook which, unfortunately, does not seem to be archived along with this game. I got stuck on a horny-beaked dinosaur I could not identify.

The game was interesting but didn't move me emotionally, and I wasn't invested in completing it.

This is version 1 of this page, edited by jcompton on 20 July 2020 at 2:51pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item