Competition entry hosted on IF Archive.
Walkthrough and map
by David Welbourn

Old Jim's Convenience Store

by Anssi Räisänen

Slice of life

When you heard that Uncle Jim has left you his convenience store in his will, you were initially delighted. After all, you've always wanted to stand on your own, make your own money and get forward in life, and the store would provide a convenient platform for all that. Little did you know that the store holds a secret that will change your plans.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2019
IFID: 575296B8-289E-4EFF-BEC2-BEC61E73F875
TUID: tz1ugjwk48v1ibb7

34th Place - 25th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2019)

Simple, but enjoyable, August 8, 2020
by Jason Lautzenheiser (Navarre, Ohio)
I really like these style of games. I'm partial to the treasure hunt style of games. Give me some puzzles to solve, some treasure to find, and at least some sort of story bringing it all together and I'm perfectly happy. This game is just that. Took me about 20 minutes to finish and I only got slightly stuck once mostly because I had to guess the verb in a few places. Other than that, just a few minor grammatical issues were found.

Although there were a few cases where a few more verbs could have been used to ease some of the guessing, it still appears to be a pretty solidly coded game. One nice feature was it remembered solutions to puzzles when you had to perform them again, thus removing some of the monotony of going back and forth a few times (once my own fault when I failed to pick up a needed item early in the game.)

Overall a nice fun little adventure, just the kind that I enjoy.

Simple, but sweet, December 27, 2019
by Stian
Related reviews: IFComp 2019
Old Jim’s Convenience Store is somewhat simple and unoriginal, but rather sweet nonetheless. It is essentially a very short and easy parser puzzler, made slightly more difficult by having to guess a few verbs. It’s also quite unpolished, something that rather detracted significantly from my enjoyment of it. The writing is decent enough, but also nothing special. Still, it only takes about 15 minutes to play through it, and that much it was definitely worth.

A small nugget of a puzzle game, October 2, 2019
This author has been writing for almost two decades now. His games are compact, with small settings allowing for experimentation.

This game is no exception. We have a very constrained situation at first, which opens up into a somewhat larger area. We're investigating our uncle's abandoned gas station which we have now inherited.

It took me a while to get the gist of the game. I missed the big twist because I tried (Spoiler - click to show)look under newspapers instead of (Spoiler - click to show)look under cardboard, but a peek at the walkthrough sent me on my way.

The writing is brief, reminiscent of Adventure and other mainframe games. The programming is mostly polished, my favorite feature being that the game remembers your past solutions to transversal puzzles and repeats them for you after you've done it once, like Hadean lands.

There's nothing bad here, I just wish it was more exciting and longer.

If you enjoyed Old Jim's Convenience Store...