ats.z8
atssrc.tar.gz
(Compressed with the Unix-style .tar.gz "tarball" format. Free unpacking tools are available for most platforms.)

A Tight Spot

by Quim K. Holland

Non-IF game
2001

IFID: ZCODE-1-000001-D30D
TUID: rsjzz9w60k6o6od4

An Inform implementation of Sokoban, the classic block-pushing puzzle game. True, Zokoban did it first, but not like this. Zokoban was basically just a proof-of-concept, and this is a full-featured implementation with a good user interface, multiple levels of undo, and literally thousands of levels - an impressive feat of data compression. It's probably the best implementation of Sokoban I've seen for any platform.

-- Carl Muckenhoupt

Impressive use of brackets, June 15, 2011
Labeled as "Non-IF", one might wonder... how do you make something in the z-machine that isn't... Interactive Fiction? When a text engine--designed for text games--is bent and twisted into something else, one can be split between thinking "Why? Why would you do this?" and being incredibly impressed that it was done.

Other titles have turned what are normally graphically based games and used text to "draw" out a game.

"A Tight Spot" is basically (Spoiler - click to show)Sokoban implemented using text as graphics

Many other titles have done this, and this one does it well. I should add I played this on Parchment (an online javascript player for z-machine games)and it worked just as well. It's impressive that it works at all, but how about the game?

I found myself as addicted to this as when I've played it on any other platform. I can't bring myself to give this 5 stars compared to other "text" adventures though. Not using traditional text makes it both amazing but also makes it "not-IF". Try it out and have some fun.

If you enjoyed A Tight Spot...

People who like A Tight Spot also gave high ratings to these games:

Photograph: A Portrait of Reflection, by Steve Evans
Photograph was an entry in the 2002 IFComp, in which it placed 3rd out of 38 entries. It was also nominated for two XYZZY awards, "Best Player Character" & "Best Use Of Medium". It's a story-driven, almost puzzleless work about a man...

spondre, by Jay Nabonne
Who is the mysterious old man? More importantly, who are you? Thrust into a tiny cell with a stranger, the future looks bleak. But things are not always what they seem.

Möbius, by J.D. Clemens
Another mission. Just when you had settled in for a nap.

This is version 1 of this page, last edited on 29 September 2007 at 8:49pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item