ats.z8
atssrc.tar.gz
(Compressed with the Unix-style .tar.gz "tarball" format. Free unpacking tools are available for most platforms.)

A Tight Spot

by Quim K. Holland

Non-IF game
2001

IFID: ZCODE-1-000001-D30D
TUID: rsjzz9w60k6o6od4

An Inform implementation of Sokoban, the classic block-pushing puzzle game. True, Zokoban did it first, but not like this. Zokoban was basically just a proof-of-concept, and this is a full-featured implementation with a good user interface, multiple levels of undo, and literally thousands of levels - an impressive feat of data compression. It's probably the best implementation of Sokoban I've seen for any platform.

-- Carl Muckenhoupt

Impressive use of brackets, June 15, 2011
Labeled as "Non-IF", one might wonder... how do you make something in the z-machine that isn't... Interactive Fiction? When a text engine--designed for text games--is bent and twisted into something else, one can be split between thinking "Why? Why would you do this?" and being incredibly impressed that it was done.

Other titles have turned what are normally graphically based games and used text to "draw" out a game.

"A Tight Spot" is basically (Spoiler - click to show)Sokoban implemented using text as graphics

Many other titles have done this, and this one does it well. I should add I played this on Parchment (an online javascript player for z-machine games)and it worked just as well. It's impressive that it works at all, but how about the game?

I found myself as addicted to this as when I've played it on any other platform. I can't bring myself to give this 5 stars compared to other "text" adventures though. Not using traditional text makes it both amazing but also makes it "not-IF". Try it out and have some fun.

If you enjoyed A Tight Spot...

People who like A Tight Spot also gave high ratings to these games:

Hana Feels, by Gavin Inglis
Something is bothering Hana. Can you work out what it is? Take the part of four important people in her life and guide their conversations. After each scene, peek at Hana's journal and find out how she felt about the things you said.

Alabaster, by John Cater, Rob Dubbin, Eric Eve, Elizabeth Heller, Jayzee, Kazuki Mishima, Sarah Morayati, Mark Musante, Emily Short, Adam Thornton, Ziv Wities
The Queen has told you to return with her heart in a box. Snow White has made you promise to make other arrangements. Now that you're alone in the forest, it's hard to know which of the two women to trust. The Queen is certainly a witch...

Fail-Safe, by Jon Ingold

This is version 1 of this page, last edited on 29 September 2007 at 8:49pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item