A Quest Only For The Noble - Part I

by Jakob Gleby

Episode 1 of A Quest Only For The Noble
Humor
2011

Finding yourself in your bedroom one day, you decide to do something useful with your life. Having walked around in circles for a couple of hours on the floor, you decide what to do.

This is the game about a most noble quest, only for the noblest of the noblestly with highest nobleness. There is a (very) brief tutorial, about the most basic basics, like picking things up, but after that there are only hints. Based loosely on a true story.

Feedback appreciated! :)

First Publication Date: April 12, 2011
IFID: BDE083B4-E80C-4E9F-8A68-6DBCC5C76DC9
TUID: rq3ln7l7nuru1n9i

Typos Don't Laugh., April 15, 2011
by AmberShards (The Gothic South)
Here's another entrant in the long line of games never betatested before release. How can I be that confident in such a statement? The first line has a typo. So does the third. Then there's the hyphenated soda-bottle, the run-on sentences, and missing capitalization. Things like this make me want to claw my eyes out, because it appears that the author couldn't bother to polish his prose, much less let anyone else play the game before unleashing it. It stinks of laziness.

Anyhow, the unnecessary tutorial appears out of nowhere, rewarding you without informing you what you're supposed to do, and then teleports in objects. At least it solves a bizarre puzzle which could otherwise only be explained by revealing that the PC had twisted and evil parents or that the PC had emotional issues.

The setup is a few notches better than "escape the room"; instead, it's "escape the house". You start off in your bedroom. The room descriptions are standard fare, with a bare minimum of atmosphere and occasionally wry insights. The detached cave-crawl perspective, however, tends to leave a lot of things up in the air. For instance, do you know the woman in the kitchen? Is she some stranger that just wandered in and started to make food? What about the girl in the living room, and why does she speak with a British accent? The perspective doesn't work in settings where you'd expect the PC to have some background knowledge. If Sara is his sister, why not just describe her initially as "your sister, Sara"? Such clues don't need to be paragraphs, but cluing in the player makes the game feel true to life.

The rest of the game is best described as an exercise in examining all objects and doing weird things with them. You're forced into this because purple prose is everywhere and because the game world makes no sense. Also, to compound the frustration, there aren't actually any inline hints.

Perhaps this game is winnable, but after 100 turns of increasing rage, I gave up. I have a suspicion that were I to succeed, though, the payoff would not be a sufficient recompense for my effort.

This is version 9 of this page, edited by Juhana on 19 April 2011 at 11:36am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item