baby tree

First Publication Date: May 10, 2012
IFID: E70D7226-56F3-4875-A933-9E54ACCC75F6
TUID: pi16ca1uk4o9t7hb

Crying, September 6, 2013
Baby Tree comes off as an amateur attempt at avant-garde work. It's short, simple, and obvious, but its minimalistic, childish prose manages to be somewhat effective. It's hard to call Baby Tree a true horror game; any evocation of horror achieved in the piece probably comes from the choice and handling of the unsettling subtext. Despite its flaws, I can't hate it. It manages to tell its story quickly and clearly enough to avoid being completely banal.

Want to know more..., May 15, 2012
This game could have been a good beginning to a very scary story. I felt bad for the protagonist and for the dog, too. They were very basic characters, which I liked, and I could definitely feel for their situation. Without more exposition, the climax of the story was empty, but it could have been truly horrific if it had been explained what the person went through to get to this sad state. I like the different prose style (poetic style?). It was a creative, good idea that served this story well, and I just wish there had been more there in terms of background and setting to explain the sad logic of this person. I give it three stars for its unique style, its simplicity, and because I'm glad I read it.

Tripping on the fine line., May 12, 2012
by Danielle (The Wild West)
The way the event unfolds has a nice sense of surreal dream-logic, and the text--when it's not getting in the way of actual interaction, or going out-of-voice to tell you you can't (Spoiler - click to show)talk to the dog--lets you project that creepy atmosphere...but it collapses at the big reveal, changing the mood from "surreal, unsettling" to "ridiculous, eye-rolling."

It's not that the premise is bad, but it needs more setup or prose-skill or something to take it ((Spoiler - click to show)the twist) from "ridiculous" to horrific. (Just replayed "9:05" and got a reminder of how well (Spoiler - click to show)a good twist can be done.)

There's a fine line in horror sometimes, and it's a shame this one missed it, because I think there's an audience for crumb-sized IF horror.

If you enjoyed baby tree...