The Hive Abroad

by Laura Michet profile

Sam lived among aliens for five years. Coming back home has been harder than he thought.

The Hive Abroad is an experimental, nonlinear sci-fi short story about friendship, community, and changing yourself.

First Publication Date: January 31, 2015
TUID: pbpmapafkpqsgvjo

A well-written sci-fi tale about belonging with non-linear narrative, March 22, 2020
When I was a kid, my dad had tons of sci-fi books from the 50s and 60s, and my grandmother had huge boxes of Star Trek books. I read Asimov and Clarke and all the others.

This story reminds me of a lot of sci-fi from that era: humans and aliens trying to understand each other. I guess that's always been a huge genre, even now with shows like Steven Universe exploring the same thing.

In this story, you play a human in a future version of the universe where aliens have established diplomatic relations with earth. You have tried to renounce your identity and become an alien, and humans are in an uproar over it.

The story is presented non-linearly, with custom-made graphics to take you from section to section. Generally, you can choose to see another cutscene before or after the one you're in. However, going forward and then back doesn't bring you back to where you were; it seems like you always see new material.

I enjoyed the story, and found it polished, descriptive, and emotionally satisfying, but I don't feel an urge to play again. I'm satisfied with the story I found.

If you enjoyed The Hive Abroad...

People who like The Hive Abroad also gave high ratings to these games:

Who Among Us, by Tia Orisney
A noir-themed murder mystery story inspired by Agatha Christie's novel "And Then There Were None" and set in modern day Russia.

Skies Above, by Arthur DiBianca
Play minigames to get your airship flying, tour the skies, and see what mischief is going on up there. Champion of the Skies: Sarah Adams

The Surprising Case of Brian Timmons, by Marshal Tenner Winter
You listen to the old broad on the other end of the phone as she finishes her plight. "Brian has gone insane. I've had to have him committed.", she tells you. You haven't seen Brian Timmons in several years and now his distraught mother...

This is version 3 of this page, edited by LatinAlice on 21 March 2020 at 6:11pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item