10 Second Defence

by Christina Nordlander profile

Go to the game's main page

kill or get killed, February 20, 2015
by namekuseijin (anywhere but home)
You have until he reaches your apartment.

sorry, I have what?

10 Second Defence

oh, thanks for clearing that up in the title. So far, this looks like a sparsely implemented one-room defense game with bad prose. yes, it indeed is.

The prologue text doesn't really mention what Kiernan is about to do, so I just took 15 turns waiting for him - perhaps he's the PC's boyfriend or boss? He enters the room and I'm blasted away. ah, good, so it really is about defending yourself against some lunatic.

Well, gotta say, it's a finally crafted small situation you've thrown us at here, worthy the few replays it demands. It evidently requires some trial and error before a good ending - which evidently means (Spoiler - click to show)your ex-lover dead while you draw a shaky breath and head off.

It's already 3 stars for being a proper game, but the short length, sparse prose and implementation got the better of me and I took 1 away. :/

Now let's look at some implementation fails:

wow, I have a sensory enhancer implant! Let's try putting it to good use:

>listen
You can't hear anything.

>smell
The air of your apartment is so familiar, you no longer notice it.

>smell Kiernan
You can't see any such thing.

I know I can't see him, but I assumed the implant would give me wolverine-like powers. Perhaps I could smell his stink or fear miles away :/

>throw knife at hitman
You lack the nerve when it comes to the crucial moment.

Comments on this review

Previous | << 1 >> | Next

Christina Nordlander, February 19, 2015 - Reply
Thank you for your review.

As for the sentence you quoted, it's not a typo. I am under the impression that "you have until X happens" functions like "you have five seconds", i.e. setting out a certain amount of time.
namekuseijin, February 19, 2015 - Reply
so, I come up to you and say "You have until I beat the crap out of you."

what do you have? a hell of a time? a guilty pleasure?

anyway, I was more let down for a buggy implant that is mentioned for no reason or purpose.

oh, wow, just noticed this: it's categorized as "Science Fiction"?! why, because of the useless mention of a useless implant? Perhaps you put it there just so you could categorize it as scifi? anyway, there's no scifi whatsoever there, it's just a cheap thriller...
Previous | << 1 >> | Next