Every Day the Same Dream

by Luis Gonzalez

Surreal
2010

Welcome to the rat race.

(A text adventure game based on the game by the same name created by molleindustria.org.)

First Publication Date: June 19, 2010
TUID: miekmujzouq9v7nv

2nd Place - @party Interactive Fiction Competition 2010

BETA TEST!, November 2, 2010
by tggdan3 (Michigan)
So, what's going on here?

If you're easily frustrated by games with missing synonyms and verbs that should have been, this will frustrate you.

Even in the first room we have a nightstand (which cannot be opened and cannot be referred to as "stand"). In the next room we have a television which cannot be referred to as "TV". We have a stove that can't be opened. "Its an electric stove. You have no clue how to use it. It is being used at the moment." How do I know it's being used if I have no clue how to use it? If it can't be opened, what's cooking ON it?

My wife is there. I can't kiss her. She's making breakfast "The young woman engrossed in making breakfast". But she doesn't respond to breakfast, I can't ask her about it.

The next room contains an elevator, I think. There's a button. Pushing it causes machine sounds, like an elevator. I waited. and waited. Then I said, enough of this.

This seems to be a remake of another game. I took it upon myself to play the other game. Now I get it. In the original, it's a graphic game that responds to clicks only (and limited ones at that), and has your character running left across the screen.

The game it's a port of has limited interaction, and this is a "faithful recreation". As such, there's very little to do here. I got further in the graphical game.

I question the value of the port, given that the old one was flash and easily playable online. More of the problem was that IF generally implies more interactivity than simple clicking, and this port doesn't seem to have added anything. Play the flash game instead.

Can You Read the Author's Mind?, June 27, 2010
by AmberShards (The Gothic South)
Every Day the Same Dream starts off with a run-on sentence and the main character in his bedroom, apparently late. If you're not enthused by this setup, EDSD may not be the game for you, because it improves only slightly as far as I could tell. If you tough it out, you'll find more grammatical problems, unresponsive NPCs, room exits that aren't described (as in the kitchen), waiting that produces no results when you'd expect it to (breakfast is NEVER served here!), and my favorite: things that happen without the game telling you (such as the elevator door closing). On the bright side, the game has a slight surrealistic feel, but that also serves to make the lack of response to most anything you do even more frustrating.

While this seems to be the author's maiden voyage, EDSD should have been tested by someone other than the author. Maybe time constraints were the reason why. At any rate, in the future I hope that the author allows others to test his game, if only to avoid the stigma of unhappy reviews and low ratings.

If you enjoyed Every Day the Same Dream...