mortality.taf
Requires an ADRIFT version 4 interpreter. Visit the ADRIFT site for download links.
Mortality Guide.pdf
documentation and solution
To view this file, you need an Acrobat Reader for your system.

Mortality

by David Whyld profile

2005

Development System: ADRIFT
IFID: ADRIFT-400-506910F98A36A2D032D93730E1A845C1
TUID: mfy1qxqwnrhk76u2

12th Place - 11th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2005)

2nd Place - InsideADRIFT End of Year Comp 2005

After taking a job of a bodyguard for the beautiful wife of the old millionaire Gamble, you fall in love with her; together, you work out a plan of killing her husband and your employer - but whose plan is it, after all?..

A plot-oriented game without any puzzles, but with mystic elements. Unfortunately, I couldn't reach an optimal ending - neither the first time, as I played it on my own, nor for the second one, as I resorted to the enclosed walkthrough. Maybe I've just chosen the wrong option somewhere, but, to be honest, I've just hadn't the patience to check it. Anyway, the critical decision points seem to be hidden very carefully; those of them that should have affected the outcome of the game, for some reason have not.

-- Valentine Kopteltsev

A long CYOA/parser hybrid about a torrid affair, gritty violence, and mortality, June 22, 2019
This game definitely is not written for children. From the opening few paragraphs:

"I've slept with high class dames and drug-snorting whores; professional models (even a couple of top shelf centrefolds); nurses and secretaries; yet none of them, even one, came close to Stephanie Gamble in terms of sheer physical beauty."

to the scattering of heavy profanity, this game is adult-oriented, which isn't really my thing.

But the interactivity and story work well. It's about 75% a CYOA game with numbered selections, kind of like Choice of Games, with an emphasis on conversations and making plans. The rest is limited parser, with most actions being movement, looking, or talking.

The story is about a plot you have to off the old, rich husband of your girlfriend.

If you enjoyed Mortality...

People who like Mortality also gave high ratings to these games:

You are Standing at a Crossroads, by Astrid Dalmady
You are Standing at a Crossroads is a short Twine story about being lost, being changed, and being stagnant.

Ollie Ollie Oxen Free, by Carolyn VanEseltine
"War may sometimes be a necessary evil. But no matter how necessary, it is always an evil, never a good. We will not learn how to live together in peace by killing each other's children." - Jimmy Carter

The Lost Islands of Alabaz, by Michael Gentry
Once upon a time, our Kingdom was much larger than it is now, reaching across all ten islands of the Alabaz Archipelago. But then a terrible curse fell upon us. A thick, gray mist covered the sea, hiding each island from the others,...

This is version 2 of this page, edited by Eriorg on 10 November 2007 at 7:18am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item