Best Laid Plans

by David Whyld profile

- Serge Kirillov, August 12, 2015

Great intro to a story--, December 16, 2013

This is a very short piece for the intro comp. It is not a game, but an introduction, and as such, the story & plot are not fully revealed.

This piece balances the familiar tropes of IF--you begin locked in a cell, in a lab full of hostile agent--against the unfamiliar and novel--you have a device which absorbs scenery and repositions it. It has a lot of promise, and even as a short, stand-alone piece it is worth playing and contains much to praise.

The premise is familiar, and the subversion of it through the main game mechanic is really very engaging. For a 10 minute game, it gives the impression of a much larger world, with an almost endless capacity for interaction. This feels like a huge game, and I felt incredibly disappointed when I had reached the end so quickly.

An unusual protagonist with fantastic powers is explained without creating a wall of exposition or back story, nor employing heavy-handed sci-fi tropes--very well-done. In general, the writing is very good. It is engaging and creates a sense of place and character quickly and briefly.

I really hope that this intro is developed into a full-length game. I'd love to see the capabilities of the device fleshed out, and this is my only real criticism. I was frustrated that I couldn't dictate where an absorbed object should be released in a room--although, I expect I'd be fine with that in a full game, it would be nice to be able to move objects to different walls, even if it doesn't change the game world much.

- E.K., September 7, 2013