forever.zip *
Contains forever.t3
For all systems. To play, you'll need a TADS 3 Interpreter - visit tads.org for interpreter downloads.
forever.sit
Mac OS Application
rncomp.zip *
original minicomp entry, does not work with current TADS 3 interpreter
rncomp.sit
original minicomp entry, does not work with current TADS 3 interpreter
Compressed with StuffIt. Free StuffIt Expanders are available for most systems at www.stuffit.com.

Elizabeth Hawke's Forever Always

by Iain Merrick

Humor/Romance
2002

An interactive romance novel.

Language: English (en-GB)
IFID: TADS3-3BBCF248F74A92893F30A8E304CC9F33
TUID: ko02mwv9oi52qsmm

Nominee, Best NPCs; Nominee, Best Individual Puzzle - 2002 XYZZY Awards

A brief game that entertainingly spoofs the conventions of the scottish/historical romance genre. It features a unique conversation system in which your statements can be modified with adverbs (it is the only game I know of in which WHISPER HUSKILY is actually a meaningful action), and the first scene features an amusing puzzle with a number of solutions. The game also turns the multimedia abilities of TADS 3 to excellent if limited effect with the inventively decorated status line. Unfortunately, the second scene is more finicky than the first and plays less smoothly -- but the overall effect is still excellent.

-- Emily Short

Brass Lantern
Romance Novel Comp 2002 Reviews
[Includes reviews by Mark Musante, Fahmi, Emily Short and Adam Thornton]

Excellent idea - flawed implementation, January 12, 2012
by E.K.
While the gameplay concept for this game is admirable - the ability to modify communication with NPCs through multiple verbs and adverbs - the implementation leaves a lot to be desired. Experimental games tend to make me want to experiment, yet I would all too often be stuck in a rut of trying out different modes of speech with no success.

The prose is vivid and enjoyable, and the characters enjoyably drawn. The game is certainly worth a play-through despite its flaws.

A romance game based on Tartans and adverbs, February 10, 2016
I put off this review for months because I hoped to find the solution to the game. But, I cant, so here goes. You play a Scottish man who is trying to stop the wedding of his love.

It has two interesting mechanics. First, you change Tartans to change how others perceive you. Second, you modify actions with adverbs.

In practice, this is very difficult. The number of possible adverbs is staggering, and there is no IF tradition to rely on. Even though the game is short, it's hard to find the solution.

Overall, an intriguing experiment.

If you enjoyed Elizabeth Hawke's Forever Always...

People who like Elizabeth Hawke's Forever Always also gave high ratings to these games:

Uncle Zebulon's Will, by Magnus Olsson
Your eccentric Uncle Zebulon considered himself a wizard, and was rumoured to be very wealthy. But when he died, he only left you one single object in his will... Winner in the TADS division of the First Annual IF Competition, 1995.

Spellcasting 201: The Sorcerer's Appliance, by Steve Meretzky
Sorcerer University: Dangerously close to a real education! Returning to SU for his sophomore year, Earnie Eaglebeak stumbles across the magical Appliance, survives pledge week, and romps through the bedrooms and barrooms, turrets and...

Light up, by The Dominant Species
I love the Lord, but if he doesn't send me a nice woman to me soon, I'm going to be mighty unhappy. I'm sorry. The alcohol is talking again. Let me get a grip. I put my hand on the wheel and put the bottle down. I'm thinking of a number:...

Elizabeth Hawke's Forever Always appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Recommended Linguistic Games by E.K.
Good games that use language puzzles, or language itself as the puzzle.

The following polls include votes for Elizabeth Hawke's Forever Always:

Romance Games by Molly
In honor of Valentine's Day, I'm looking for games that deal with romance and relationships.

This is version 2 of this page, edited by Edward Lacey on 3 March 2013 at 7:34am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item