The Ribos Operation
Dr Who themed game. The Doctor and Romana must find the first segment of the Key to Time on the planet Ribos
For all systems. To play, you'll need a TADS 3 Interpreter - visit tads.org for interpreter downloads.
Walkthrough and map
by David Welbourn

The Ribos Operation

by Kelsey Lewis

Dr Who themed game. The Doctor and Romana must find the first segment of the key to time on the pre-technological planet of Ribos

First Publication Date: June 10, 2017
License: Public Domain
IFID: 4D4528C5-532E-4DAF-B93F-73889A30BE54
TUID: kamwbxiu3d1shgiy

Ambitious, but needs some work, April 21, 2020
by Henck (Mozambique)
This game tells a Doctor Who story, and it does it surprisingly well. If playing with a walkthrough at hand, the plot unfolds quickly and interestingly as if it were an actual episode of the eponymous TV show. Much like whatever actions the Doctor might take on the show, however, the puzzles in this game are often inscrutable.

The game could benefit from a more elaborate implementation. Scenery items are usually implemented, but will allow no interaction beyond "The tihamajig is not important." While such descriptions are useful to minimize red herrings, the environment becomes rather lifeless. In this game, the player does what the plot requires, or nothing at all.

Any fixed items along the way that you can interact with are, again, part of the plot and only become active once the plot progress. For example, just about every door is locked and will open automatically once certain events happen, so there is no point searching for a key or whatever other method to open them. I confess that my enthusiasm playing the game abated somewhat when I understood that the plot drives everything, and all the player can do is follow along and solve puzzles as they are presented.

A minor point of irritation: many descriptions lack a full stop at the end (possibly on purpose), but this put me off a little. It smacked of unfinished prose, somehow.

Tying all the plot events together must have been a complicated programming job; the game is therefore ambitious and would have been much better if more effort had gone into descriptions, and puzzle clues.

The Ribos Operation on IFDB

The Ribos Operation appears in the following Recommended Lists:

My new walkthroughs for August 2019 by David Welbourn
On Friday August 30, 2019, I published new walkthroughs for the games and stories listed below! Some of these were paid for by my wonderful patrons at Patreon. Please consider supporting me to make even more new walkthroughs for works of...

This is version 6 of this page, edited by David Welbourn on 30 August 2019 at 11:26am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item