Story File with media
Requires an ADRIFT version 3.9 interpreter. Visit the ADRIFT site for download links.

The Alchemist

by Renata Burianova

2003

Your name is Alessandro d'Estino, an italian alchemist. An alchemist so famous that the King Rudolph II. requests your presence on his court. The story begins on a cold February
day of 1602 on your journey to Prague, where the King himself along with the most famous scientists, alchemists and magicians await you...

Development System: ADRIFT
Forgiveness Rating: Cruel
TUID: jtyzvv97m8irt63s

disappointing, but with potential, August 21, 2011
by Lumin (Texas)
This is the most frustrating game I've ever played. On one hand, there are important things that seem broken, underimplemented, unclued, or just plain unclear. But on the other hand, this is not a game you can easily dismiss. Even setting aside the fact that English obviously isn't the author's first language, in places the writing is just so GOOD and evocative as it sets the scene ("The roofs were all covered with snow and trees were kneeling under the weight of frozen branches.") with the music and pictures enhancing the effect, that there's no denying this was a labor of love.

You play as Alessandro d'Estino, a 17th century alchemist who has discovered the secret of creating gold and been summoned to Prague by the king to duplicate his experiment. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make it much farther than that; once it was time to stop reading journal entries and touring the palace and admiring the scenery, I hit a brick wall. The only clue I was given was that I needed a certain item, but there were no hints as to where I might find it, even after examining everything and attempting to talk to every NPC I could find.

At some point I accidentally destroyed another item, and after that--with the developer password protected so I couldn't even take a peek for 'inspiration' and with no way to make further progress--I had to concede defeat.

(EDIT: After searching around I discovered a walkthrough on the wiki, but unfortunately it only highlights the problems with the puzzle design. Short of literally reading the author's mind, no one would ever figure out most of the required commands, and so 90% of the game remains inaccessible unless you're willing to sit there and follow the walkthrough step by step.)

I'm convinced the seeds of a great game are in here, but the obvious lack of beta testing (and of a native English speaker to comb over the text) really shows, and makes The Alchemist all but unplayable in the end.

This is version 2 of this page, edited by Richard Otter on 20 August 2011 at 4:05am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item