arcade.zip
Contains centipede.z5
For all systems. To play, you'll need a Z-Machine Interpreter - visit Brass Lantern for download links. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)
centipede.sol

Game/Science Fiction
2001

IFID: ZCODE-1-001231-38B1
TUID: joahn3xg3fcr2w5p

A brief look at the possible backstory of a videogame that defies explanation. Centipede is revealed to be a hellish war story, like a psychedelic version of Starship Troopers. Very linear, with no real puzzles, and as far as I can tell, impossible to win.

-- Carl Muckenhoupt

Game Over, Man!, August 12, 2008
by C.E.J. Pacian (England)
Although I have great fondness for the IF Arcade submissions, it did take me a while to actually get around to playing this particular one.  The chief barrier was its verbosity. There's a lot of prose in here, fleshing out a non-stop chain-reaction of intense events. As a concept, inspired by a relatively bizarre arcade game, this apocalyptic sci-fi war story hits all the right buttons for me. It's cliched enough to foster the sense of participating in your favourite bug-blasting movie or novel, but tinged with a layer of multicoloured surreality that makes it rather original as well.

There's only one problem, and it's kind of a big one. It's not just that this game is wordy, it's that it's pretty much just a short story with command prompts between the paragraphs. Certainly, there's a little bit of branching in the airborne introduction, with a hearty number of prompted, non-standard actions (you're told that your forehead itches, for example, and attempts to scratch it are thwarted by your space helmet), but exploration of this sequence is made a little frustrating by the tight time limits and the way you can't 'undo' twice in succession. And once you hit the ground, pretty much nothing you do has any effect on the story. Something really bothers me about a game where I can just type 'wait' over and over again and watch my character take exactly the same actions as he would have had I typed anything else.

Still, it's short, it's atmospheric, it's witty, and it has far more character than plenty of similarly themed graphical games with multi-million dollar budgets.

An intense alien war game, September 14, 2017
I thought this IFArcade game was by Cadre, but i guess I was wrong. This is an intense alien war drama, copying numerous movies/books in that style (Aliens, Catch 22, Starship Troopers, etc.) It has violence and profanity.

It's based on the arcade game Centipede. You land in a swamp with several marines, and you are in a field of poisonous mushrooms with ticks, scorpions, and centipedes attacking you.

It's incredibly difficult to win.

If you enjoyed Centipede...