dungeon escape part 1
Play online at textadventures.​co.​uk

dungeon escape part 1

by khygann

2012

you wake up in a dungeon with no clue what you're doing in there but you might escape...

First Publication Date: December 29, 2012
Development System: quest
IFID: 09AA0DAC-5C26-4278-970E-616403EFB6E4
TUID: h17jln5roj5k3m9q

It's Either a Terrible Satire or Just Plain Terrible, December 1, 2013
by Sharpe (Playing Kerkerkruip, the IF Roguelike)
Here's the first passage:

you wake up in a dungeon with a thief in the same cell as you do you...
>trust the thief
>don't trust the thief

Ouch.

It gets worse from there. I'm not entirely certain if Dungeon Escape was meant to be satire or not. I really don't think it was, though.

If it were . . . we get it already. There are a whole lot of bad interactive fiction games out there with horrible writing, no plots, flat characters—or characters with absolutely no description at all, like in this game—and choices that are completely random with sudden death around every corner. However, this is just one more in a long line stretching across the Internet's horizon. So, as a satire, this game fails on all levels. It is not amusing in any way.

Satire of this type can work; however, this one most certainly did not. This is not "hilariously" terrible. It's just plain terrible.

If it truly isn't a satire, then this writer is probably very young and I applaud what's likely his first IF. Good job on having the attention span and tenacity to actually complete the game. That's a major accomplishment and proves that one day, you'll become a good writer who can create fun and interesting IF if you stick with it. Other than a lack of capitalization and constant run-on sentences, Dungeon Escape is probably as good as anything I could have written in in the fourth grade, and that's a huge complement if you're in the eighth grade or lower.

All that said, there are signs that Dungeon Escape is, in fact, a satire, so I don't think this was just a very young writer. For example, the author consistently used apostrophes correctly, as well as quotation marks. There are a few complete sentences, usually if an exclamation mark or question mark is needed, and in those rare cases, they are used correctly. That tells me the run-on sentences are probably intentional.

As far as I know, I tried every combination of choices and none of them lead to an ending other than death or waking up at the start of the game.

Dungeon Escape is a complete waste of time. Thankfully, I was totally board and had nothing better to do than randomly click on games and review them.

—Richard Sharpe

This is version 2 of this page, edited by textadventures.co.uk robot on 24 January 2013 at 12:06pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item