Competition version.
Download files
Index of files and subdirectories to download, including images, Javascript, and CSS.

The Game of Worlds TOURNAMENT!

by Ade

It is a long million, this. The Septem Tower, held in the Manifold by the Tagides Rings, grinds on and on - its grey walls pressing close. The only thing to look forward to is the long, cold, endless Waste.

The Royderlanks in the Body, aloof and cruel, expect too much and give too little. Only the Game of Worlds can take your mind away from the crushing obligations of a Vociferant worker. And finally, a wildcard into the Tournament of the Perfect Aphelion - only held once every ten progressions. This is your chance.

The Cards await. The Tournament begins. The tables are prepared.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2016
IFID: 2000A226-257F-4645-B644-7A1C679757DA
TUID: fsndsgd8pbu5gbuo

14th Place - 22nd Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2016)

The Breakfast Review
This was fun, and I foresee this being a great timewaster for a long time to come. The premise is that you're playing in a card game tournament, and the gameplay is a simulation of the card game itself. It's much like a collectible card game, in that you play a card to the table on your turn and that card has an effect on the playing field--that is, the "world" between you and your opponent, and the lifeforms you each control on that world.

I like the premise, it's entertaining, but it's not lasting for me, December 4, 2016
The text hints at a wide game world; yet the game is only a sequence of card games against nondescript opponents. If you win 5 in a row, you win the game. I had expected the games to become more challenging with time, and in a way they were; but it seemed to me that the game difficulty was due to the luck of the particular hand of cards that I was dealt, more than anything else. The computer opponent didn't seem to become smarter. The card game itself is entertaining, but not enough to make me want to play again. It may be that it's too easy -- I won 5 times in a row, I never lost.

I would have liked to see a bit of story to develop with each game. Maybe seeing variations in the game.

An overbusy and complex glulx card game with multimedia features, May 9, 2017
This game is primarily notable for its extensive use of multimedia with glulx, more than any other previous glulx game.

It's a card game where you take turns playing cards that affect a world. The writing and images are detailed and compelling.

However, I felt that there was just too much going on in this game. The game window has a ton of doodads and images, and the effects were very complicated. I will admit I was in a hurry, though.

Overall, fun as an idle game, and interesting as a tech demo.

If you enjoyed The Game of Worlds TOURNAMENT!...

People who like The Game of Worlds TOURNAMENT! also gave high ratings to these games:

Take, by Katherine Morayati (as Amelia Pinnolla)
You are battle-weary. Your armor is scanty and your countenance is loathsome; you tire of the swords flicking at your neck. But you have a duty. There is nothing you can't take. (Content warning: Violence, implied adult themes,...

9:05, by Adam Cadre
In this game, you wake up and go about your regular business, though everything may not be as it seems. Warning: there is no built-in help in this story, so if you need it, you may have to play on your own. This game has multiple...

Cragne Manor, by Ryan Veeder, Jenni Polodna, Adam Whybray, Adri, Andrew Plotkin, Andy Holloway, Austin Auclair, Baldur Brückner, Ben Collins-Sussman, Bill Maya, Brian Rushton, Buster Hudson, Caleb Wilson, Carl Muckenhoupt, Chandler Groover, Chris Jones, Christopher Conley, Damon L. Wakes, Daniel Ravipinto, Daniel Stelzer, David Jose, David Petrocco, David Sturgis, Drew Mochak, Edward B, Emily Short, Erica Newman, Feneric, Finn Rosenløv, Gary Butterfield, Gavin Inglis, Greg Frost, Hanon Ondricek, Harkness Munt, Harrison Gerard, Ian Holmes, Ivan Roth, Jack Welch, Jacqueline Ashwell, James Eagle, Jason Dyer, Jason Lautzenheiser, Jason Love, Jeremy Freese, Joey Jones, Joshua Porch, Justin de Vesine, Justin Melvin, Katherine Morayati, Kenneth Pedersen, Lane Puetz, Llew Mason, Lucian Smith, Marco Innocenti, Marius Müller, Mark Britton, Mark Sample, Marshal Tenner Winter, Matt Schneider, Matt Weiner, Matthew Korson, Michael Fessler, Michael Gentry, Michael Hilborn, Michael Lin, Mike Spivey, Molly Ying, Monique Padelis, Naomi Hinchen, Nate Edwards, Petter Sjölund, Q Pheevr, Rachel Spitler, Reed Lockwood, Reina Adair, Riff Conner, Roberto Colnaghi, Rowan Lipkovits, Sam Kabo Ashwell, Scott Hammack, Sean M. Shore, Wade Clarke, Zach Hodgens, Zack Johnson
A tribute to Anchorhead.

The following polls include votes for The Game of Worlds TOURNAMENT!:

For your consideration: XYZZY-eligible Multimedia of 2016 by MathBrush
This is for suggesting games released in 2016 which you think might be worth considering for Best Use of Multimedia in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination. The category will still be text-entry, and games not...

This is version 6 of this page, edited by Wladimir on 13 February 2017 at 2:11am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item