maiden.zip
Contains MAIDEN.GAM
For all systems. To play, you'll need a TADS 2 Interpreter - visit tads.org for interpreter downloads. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)
maiden.gam

Maiden of the Moonlight

by Brian P. Dean

Haunted House
1996

You are standing in front of Drochsolas Manse, preparing to explore it in an attempt to find the key to ending the Baron's curse upon the surrounding land. You have come bearing your sword and pistol as well as a prayer that any hazards you might encounter within the haunted mansion can be dealt with by such physical means.

Current Version: Release 1.4
IFIDs:  TADS2-800172B0E584B6A4323A93AF540C5F35
TADS2-FE1B457E28123A469DBD9E54DE4234AB
TUID: fb6glir6bmonljyq

7th Place - 2nd Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (1996)

A 17th-century Scottish ghost story involving a wicked baron, his beautiful daughter, and the poor lad who loved her - all of whose souls remain inside a decaying manor house. You play a soldier, just returned from fighting the Roundheads and determined to put the ghosts to rest. One of the better ghost games - good setting, solid story, quite a lot of exposition scattered about (some of it quite long), and a bevy of mechanical and magical puzzles, including one very good large-scale one. Requires a little learning-by-death - entering one particular room can end your game prematurely, and there's no way to know it except by experience. Has a few subtleties that few will notice without using the adaptive hints.

-- Carl Muckenhoupt

Simple but clever puzzles, with the only annoyance being the very, VERY forced method of getting the perfume bottle over the fence. (Was this necessary?) I liked having to piece together solutions from the writings, books, and room descriptions, though there's the occasional guesswork.

[...] the program tells me that there's a path made of flagstones to the west (if my memory serves me right). I tell the program to examine the flagstones, and it replies that it has no idea what 'flagstones' are! [...] I must say that I none the less enjoyed many of the descriptions of the various locations I visited and I stayed with the game at least 15 minutes before giving up completely!

Not Altogether There, May 2, 2009
by AmberShards (The Gothic South)
It is fairly detailed and interesting, so if you're an atmosphere junkie, this will draw you in. However, the broken puzzles and the ridiculously small amount of time allowed to explore the mansion will prove frustrating. There are typos, too, and a lot of the rooms are threadbare, as if the author lost interest in the game by the time the later rooms show up. It feels like the game needed a few more rounds of beta-testing.

A tightly timed ghost story in a mansion, February 3, 2016
In this game from the second IFcomp, you play a sword wielding Britainer in the time of Cromwell, investigating a haunted house.

The house is haunted by the maiden of the moonlight, daughter of a witchcraft using Baron.

You have to discover their story and put her to rest. The focus on the puzzles is sources of moonlight, which you must deal with in increasingly complicated ways.

The game has a timer.

If you enjoyed Maiden of the Moonlight...