Story File (Fixed Download)

The Realistic Nascar eXperience

by Nathaniel Tayerle

racing

This is an extremely realistic Nascar simulator. Quite funny as well.

First Publication Date: August 27, 2013
IFID: DB078EA1-2223-40A0-A91C-11439BE944D8
TUID: cicidaxpvqhz4zw8

You turn left. Then you turn left. , August 29, 2013
by Hanon Ondricek (United States)
I guess the joke is that the Nascar track is an oval, and the race consists of nothing but left turns.

Not at all realistic, nor funny in the least, other than the idea that (Spoiler - click to show)You go straight and turn left a couple of alternating times to win the game.

It took me longer to obtain this file than it did to play it. It's hosted on one of those sites that makes you wait several seconds to download if you don't sign up and pay for a premium account. There are multiple download buttons, and the obvious one I pushed downloaded a setup program for a browser I did not want. Why not host this game on the IF Archive for free like every other game?

A joke which needs improvement, February 5, 2014
by Simon Deimel (Germany)
It is just a joke, alright. I get that. It might have been funny in some way, but it does not work for me in the current version.

It may be a coding exercise, but there is not much exercised here: "straight" and "left" and "right" are not defined as proper directions (the game simply demands the cardinal directions to be used -- in a way that makes them meaningless), the commands not in use are not implemented or deactivated (so "X car" produces the standard response of not seeing any such a thing), and there is no proper ending (the player ends in a room called "End Game" with the room description of the victory). There is no prose -- some descriptions should have been added to convey a feeling. These are just some of the things which might have been improved and which deviate from what I am used to find in Z-code games. Joke games are okay, in fact I like them. A short play with a punchline, a nice ending -- it is good. But jokes can be polished too. The basic idea is not bad, but needs more prose and some improvements.

This is version 3 of this page, edited by NathanielTayerle on 30 August 2013 at 9:02am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item