Sloth on a Stroller

by Juhana Leinonen profile

Humor
2012

This is it. You've had enough of that damn Tortoise and his hijinks. This race will put him to his place once and for all!

First Publication Date: June 11, 2012
IFID: 9EC84D2A-0F54-4B3E-A18B-FAEDF861F6F
TUID: b3rd1mfm4zox4eic

Entrant - Cover Stories

Barebones race game, June 16, 2012
by Emily Short
Related reviews: cover stories
Sloth on a Stroller is a racing game in which you are competing against a tortoise on a tricycle. Play consists of applying gas, brakes, and nitro at appropriate times on a racing course; the status bar indicates where you and your opponent are, as well as your current speed of travel. It's possible to end the game in a number of ways, though my best outcome was a tie.

Simple-verb, mechanical games can work in IF, and at its best, this could have been something reminiscent of Textfire Golf or the racing minigame in Lost Islands of Alabaz.

I didn't enjoy Sloth as much as those other games, though, and I think that's because a) the writing and general atmosphere is comparatively bare, so I have less reason to invest in individual outcomes or derive enjoyment from non-winning states; and b) there wasn't much feedback about what I was doing wrong and what I might be able to improve. It was clear from the track layout that there were certain places where I really needed to be traveling at a particular speed, or applying gas or nitro. But even with careful notetaking and optimizing for speed against these restraints, as well as (Spoiler - click to show)solving a puzzle to oil my stroller wheels with olive oil, I am still unable to win the thing.

The same mechanics and puzzle enhanced with stronger feedback and more rewarding writing (even for the loss-state endings) would make for a much stronger game.

This is version 1 of this page, edited by Sam Kabo Ashwell on 15 June 2012 at 4:12pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item