Version 2 at IF Archive

Gardening for Beginners

by Juhana Leinonen profile

Humor
2008

When the snow melts it's time to make that garden of yours look better than ever.

An entry to the 2008 Spring Speed IF.

First Publication Date: April 6, 2008
License: Open Source
IFID: FCFDEDD2-350F-4C88-A224-9C26BCFB423E
TUID: 8h52vtue96f9vq7f

Fun ten minute diversion., December 6, 2013
by Jason Lautzenheiser (Navarre, Ohio)
I've played this through a few times over the last couple months. Not that there is a ton of reply value with multiple paths or alternative solutions, but really because this is just a fun little diversion, that still give me a few chuckles. I thought it was well written, and perfect for a newcomer to IF. Ending I thought was a bit weak, yet it did fit well with the rest of the game....and who am I to talk, endings can be hard. Nice job.

Good speed-IF title to suggest to beginners (RR #9), November 6, 2012
Gardening for Beginners by Juhana Leinonen is a short speed-IF game describing the misadventures of a budding gardener.

What is supposed to be a peaceful and upbeat day of work quickly turns into a nightmare as the player is beset by the horrors of nature.

I can recommend this game as a choice to suggest to text adventure newbies, as it is uncomplicated, easy to play and funny to boot.

Personally I would add an option to name your fish to add some more personal involvement to the game. In fact the enclosed framework of the game world even would allow for a game allowing the player whatever he wants to do (e.g. drink the poison, or eat the fish).

Anyway, quite a fun little title to play.

5/10

Fun small comedy, December 7, 2013
The writing is comedic and amusing, and there is some clever work going on behind the scenes in the shifting room descriptions.

I enjoyed the (frustrating!) mechanics. Some commands are not well implemented (water garden, water crows, etc), and I think the game would benefit from letting the player go off the rails a little bit, but overall this was a fun and engaging short piece.

If you enjoyed Gardening for Beginners...