Game File
For all systems. To play, you'll need an Alan Interpreter for your system - visit the Alan home page for download links.

VR Gambler

by Robert DeFord profile

You start at the entrance to the Gold Coast Casino's new Virtual Reality Gaming Room. There is a neon sign over the doorway that says: GO ON A VR ADVENTURE! WIN BIG!

This parser-based game features puzzles, turn-based combat, leveling up, treasure, loot, weapons, armor, and classic adventuring. There is an integral non-spoiler hint system, and an in-game, contextual walkthrough for each puzzle and location. The player kit contains a map, a Windows interpreter, and instructions for setting up a Mac to run the game.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2017
Development System: Alan 3
TUID: 6iykmlp156u87mww

26th Place - 23rd Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2017)

A treasure-finding RPG, November 16, 2017
Related reviews: about 2 hours
This game is a fairly traditional RPG, where you find better and better weapons/armor and equip them, and gain gold. It's framed as a VR story in a casino to better explain why items disappear in a puff of smoke and why all treasures get converted to their cash values.

I found the game enjoyable, and fairly long, although I bug kept me from going from the novice half to the expert half. I would recommend it for fans of RPGs.

If you enjoyed VR Gambler...