The Witness

by Stu Galley

Mystery
1983

Its biggest flaw was its price, June 20, 2020
The Witness has a reputation for disappointing customers. Having waited for a new Infocom release and plunked down dozens of early-1980s dollars, they expected a bigger and more challenging game. One that would keep them up late at night for days on end, playing and replaying key sequences trying to build up a godlike understanding of a clockwork world, much as Deadline had offered them.

Instead, what they got was something players would stridently demand just a decade or so later: a game that was compact enough, and fair enough, to be solved without feeling like one should have earned college credit while doing so.

Although derivative, the feelies lean in deep and hard to the 1930s detective potboiler and pulp mystery markets. The character roster is indeed shallow but at least it's easy to keep track of who-means-what-to-whom. Galley's tweaks to standard parser responses mostly work to build the illusion. The variations in results for accusing and arresting suspects give enough teases and nudges to encourage playing again if you didn't reach the optimum solution.

So, at commercial release? This game definitely rates one star lower. The criticism from contemporary players and press was totally deserved. Without the big-ticket investment and pressure for this game and this game alone to offer several dozen hours of digital engagement? It's quite good. (The gaming market was tiny compared to the virtually limitless choice of the 21st century.)

A weaker detective story from Infocom, still polished, February 3, 2016
Related reviews: Infocom
Having just played Deadline for the first time, Witness was not as good, but still very polished. As others have noted, the solution to whodunnit isn't that hard. How they did it is harder.

Again, Sergeant Duffy is here to analyze everything for you . Again, there is a death you must investigate, and a (this time smaller) cast of characters you can interrogate.

You witness the death of a man, and you must uncover the mystery behind his death (thus the name of the game).

This was Infocom's second mystery game, and (I believe) the only one by Stu Galley.

Too Darn Easy, September 1, 2010
by Xervosh (San Jose, Northern California)
(Warning: This review might contain spoilers. Click to show the full review.)This is literally the only Infocom game I ever solved entirely on my own. No help from other players, no rumored word-of-mouth, no Invisiclues - all me. And it took me less than 72 hours! I spent like $35 on this thing (for the Apple II version, to play on my old Franklin Ace 1000), back when I was 13 or 14 (in 1984), and I had it solved in under three days. Man, did I ever feel ripped off! Otherwise, its a solid Infocom title (albeit from the Mystery genre, generally not one of the more interesting ones).

The fact that its so easy may not actually be much of a minus these days; its kinda nice to download a game, spend some time on it, and then solve it. And you should be able to do that here. In fact, if you can't solve this, I'd say IF isn't your thing, and you're never going to be able to handle something like Zork I or Planetfall (both of which are far superior).

One obvious flaw: The game is so easy, in part, because there are so few suspect NPCs. There's Linder (the murder victim), his daughter, the other fellow (Ralph Stiles - I forget precisely how he's introduced into the game), and the Japanese gardener (plus there's an Irish cop). You know its one of those four...and you suspect its probably not the gardener (and you pretty much know its not the cop).

Early noir murder mystery, August 18, 2010
by ZUrlocker (Santa Cruz, CA)
This was one of Infocom's early games, following in the footsteps of Zork and the earlier mystery Deadline. Given Deadline's reputation for being quite difficult, some might find Witness too easy. I thought it was a good game with quite a few interesting twists. It's your basic murder mystery with several suspects, some interesting clues and a few red herrings. There are a few things that need to be pieced together and sometimes you have to wait for someone or something to happen. Still, I admit I was tempted by the InvisiClues! In case it's not clear, the inspiration for the title is that you're the witness to a murder that you then need to solve.

Given the relatively primitive state of computers back in 1983 when Witness was written, it's an impressive game. Maybe by modern standards, it's a little sparse. Back then, infocom games clocked in at an impressive 128k, so there isn't a lot of verbose writing. As a result the number of rooms, people and objects is limited. Still, Stu Galley does a good job of capturing the "hard-boiled" detective feel of '30s pulp-era fiction even if it's more of a novella than a full blown novel. Still, Witness and Stu Galley's later games defined the golden age of Interactive Fiction that inspired many more authors to come.

This game is available as part of the Lost Treasures of Infocom series. If you like mysteries, you should seek this one out. The feelies in the original game are quite cool including a telegram, suicide note "Detective Gazette" and more. You can also find versions of the InvisiClues for download at http://www.waitingforgo.com/invisiclues/main.html