Queers in Love at the End of the World

by Anna Anthropy

First Publication Date: November 25, 2013
TUID: 622aq9w92sxoym4p

Brave experimental piece, January 29, 2017
This incredibly short (10 second!) piece experiments with time as a constraint, something rarely seen in Interactive Fiction.

A fast and constantly dwindling 10 second countdown speeds you along as you click through the options, expressing your love and living the last few seconds of a romance as the world ends. Wisely, the end of the world--the whys, the hows, etc--isn't examined. The time constraint means it can't be, letting the story of doomed love take center-stage.

I found the experiment at times frustrating, because I was racing through prose; but I think that's a form of success here, as it meant I re-played several times, trying the same and different paths.

Short, interesting art game, January 28, 2017
This is definitely more art than game, but I find it a very interesting use of the Twine medium and the way the title, premise, and text you don't have time to read combine makes for an impactful and evocative feel. Plus, it's so short, might as well play it a few times. ^_^

Alright, but too quick., January 9, 2015
by Chai Hai (Kansas City KS)
I understand the point of this is two people telling each other they love each other literally seconds before the world ends, but that's it.

This in turn becomes a click-fest, and no attention is paid to writing whatsoever as you literally have no time. You either read and die on the first 3 pages, or get far through the game having no idea what you just did.

It's meant to be sweet but ends up being annoying, as I am one who likes to read what's being said, and having that option taken away from me is irritating.

A better way to go about this would be to remove the time limit, and make it so you can only do 5 actions. That way you can read what you're doing, and you get the brevity you were going for.

Nice idea, poor implementation.

If you enjoyed Queers in Love at the End of the World...

People who like Queers in Love at the End of the World also gave high ratings to these games:

♥Magical Makeover♥, by S. Woodson
"You hold in your hand a pink, heart-shaped card daubed in rosewater and oil of jasmine an invitation to the Princess Philantha's Grand Equinox Ball. In gilded, sweeping, sweet-smelling calligraphy, the card expresses best wishes to...

I Palindrome I, by Nick Montfort

Human Errors, by Katherine Morayati
A contractor assigned to handle bug reports for a wearable mood-regulation device becomes unwitting witness to trauma and crime.

Queers in Love at the End of the World appears in the following Recommended Lists:

This is version 1 of this page, edited by Steven Watson on 5 April 2014 at 4:46pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item