I'm Really Sorry About That Thing I Said When I Was Tired and/or Hungry

by Dietrich Squinkifer (Squinky) profile

Slice of life

"I'm Really Sorry About That Thing I Said When I Was Tired and/or Hungry" is a mostly-autobiographical story of how it was like growing up among several different cultures and not really fitting into any of them.

First Publication Date: August 7, 2014
TUID: 4j5zyyl3fi99f0sl

I was able to rate this by the 5th click, August 11, 2014
I could tell it was fantastic, and it kept getting better.

This is essentially an autobiography, with a fun element of interactivity in that you can control some of the details; ages, names, and relationships of (relatively) minor details can be changed by the reader until you've progressed out of a scene, which fixes them for future copy.

Essentially, this is a story of a self-described gender-queer person growing up between different cultures and customs. It is well-written, engaging, and provides a fresh perspective to interact from. The interactivity largely influences the emotional aspect of a scene, in ways that may or may not be significant; I kept feeling like I was having a really solid personal conversation with a close friend, where everything I said was something they'd already thought of, and we were just clarifying our discussion and our deep friendship.

Kiai has a real talent as an autobiographer in making their story personal and relatable. Although it is vastly different from my own experiences, I found myself seeing comparisons to my own life, and feel grateful to have read this story.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the formatting, which was done quite well. I narrowed my browser window to make it a bit easier to read it in a flow, but the type-size, typeface selection, and color scheme all worked together well to make the experience flow nicely.

Quality Time With Deirdra Kiai!, August 9, 2014
by Hanon Ondricek (United States)
This autobiography of Deirdra "Squinky" Kiai (tubaist, graphical adventure creator) is delightful and I enjoyed it thoroughly. I felt like Kiai's best friend having a conversation with someone I've known my whole life. There is generous interaction written with an open and honest modesty and assured voice that never made me feel uncomfortable like a poorly considered personal Twine can occasionally do. Kiai allows the reader to proceed without delving deeper into every twisty anecdote, so I look forward to a second read. Even if you don't hit every node, it's an enjoyable conversation.

This is a spectacular example of an experience not possible in non-interactive fiction. Extra difficulty points for an assured rare tick in the IF autobiography genre that doesn't see much action.

Funny and really well-written, September 5, 2014
by Daemon Pyrate ( Optional. For example, "San Diego, California," "Barcelona, Spain")
The subject matter was presented in a way that wasn't off-putting either. The author is very skilled and should write a book.

If you enjoyed I'm Really Sorry About That Thing I Said When I Was Tired and/or Hungry...

People who like I'm Really Sorry About That Thing I Said When I Was Tired and/or Hungry also gave high ratings to these games:

Eclosion, by Buster Hudson
Entry in Ectocomp 2014.

Enlaya: The Prison, by Yanlins
Enlaya A forgotten colony world cut off from the supplies of Earth, with no natural resources, and a hostile surrounding ecology, how will you survive? The prison Sentenced to a fifty year imprisonment for a crime you did not commit,...

Afflicted, by Doug Egan
This isn't the safest neighborhood. A young woman was abducted near here only recently. But as a city sanitarian you are obligated to complete your annual inspection of the local dive. [blurb from IF Comp 2008]

The following polls include votes for I'm Really Sorry About That Thing I Said When I Was Tired and/or Hungry:

For Your Consideration: Games from 2014 that should be nominated for the XYZZY Awards by Molly
There were a lot of great games released in the past year, and now that the XYZZYs are coming up, it seems like a very good idea to take a poll of all the games from last year people would like to see nominated. The management has asked...

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Squinky on 1 February 2016 at 11:12am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item