I'm Really Sorry About That Thing I Said When I Was Tired and/or Hungry

by Dietrich Squinkifer (Squinky) profile

Slice of life

"I'm Really Sorry About That Thing I Said When I Was Tired and/or Hungry" is a mostly-autobiographical story of how it was like growing up among several different cultures and not really fitting into any of them.

First Publication Date: August 7, 2014
TUID: 4j5zyyl3fi99f0sl

I was able to rate this by the 5th click, August 11, 2014
I could tell it was fantastic, and it kept getting better.

This is essentially an autobiography, with a fun element of interactivity in that you can control some of the details; ages, names, and relationships of (relatively) minor details can be changed by the reader until you've progressed out of a scene, which fixes them for future copy.

Essentially, this is a story of a self-described gender-queer person growing up between different cultures and customs. It is well-written, engaging, and provides a fresh perspective to interact from. The interactivity largely influences the emotional aspect of a scene, in ways that may or may not be significant; I kept feeling like I was having a really solid personal conversation with a close friend, where everything I said was something they'd already thought of, and we were just clarifying our discussion and our deep friendship.

Kiai has a real talent as an autobiographer in making their story personal and relatable. Although it is vastly different from my own experiences, I found myself seeing comparisons to my own life, and feel grateful to have read this story.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the formatting, which was done quite well. I narrowed my browser window to make it a bit easier to read it in a flow, but the type-size, typeface selection, and color scheme all worked together well to make the experience flow nicely.

Quality Time With Deirdra Kiai!, August 9, 2014
by Hanon Ondricek (United States)
This autobiography of Deirdra "Squinky" Kiai (tubaist, graphical adventure creator) is delightful and I enjoyed it thoroughly. I felt like Kiai's best friend having a conversation with someone I've known my whole life. There is generous interaction written with an open and honest modesty and assured voice that never made me feel uncomfortable like a poorly considered personal Twine can occasionally do. Kiai allows the reader to proceed without delving deeper into every twisty anecdote, so I look forward to a second read. Even if you don't hit every node, it's an enjoyable conversation.

This is a spectacular example of an experience not possible in non-interactive fiction. Extra difficulty points for an assured rare tick in the IF autobiography genre that doesn't see much action.

Funny and really well-written, September 5, 2014
by Daemon Pyrate ( Optional. For example, "San Diego, California," "Barcelona, Spain")
The subject matter was presented in a way that wasn't off-putting either. The author is very skilled and should write a book.

If you enjoyed I'm Really Sorry About That Thing I Said When I Was Tired and/or Hungry...

People who like I'm Really Sorry About That Thing I Said When I Was Tired and/or Hungry also gave high ratings to these games:

The Rats in the Bulkheads, by Bruno Dias
All you have to do is make it inside and fire thrusters to adjust the derelict's course. Content warning: This game contains written depictions of disturbing material, including gore and suicide.

Blood Will Out, by Ella Risbridger
A game about blood cancer, written for #BloodCancerAwarenessMonth. Grim, harrowing, but a happy ending is possible. "-It is about anxiety. It is also about dying. -There are descriptions of bodies, of blood, of skin and bone and Valium."...

Before the End of the World, by Silverstring Media
The sky is tearing itself open. Fire rains from the heavens. And you've returned home to reflect on the person you fell in love with in your dreams. Before the End of the World is a Twine game created to explore partially how minor...

The following polls include votes for I'm Really Sorry About That Thing I Said When I Was Tired and/or Hungry:

For Your Consideration: Games from 2014 that should be nominated for the XYZZY Awards by Molly
There were a lot of great games released in the past year, and now that the XYZZYs are coming up, it seems like a very good idea to take a poll of all the games from last year people would like to see nominated. The management has asked...

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Squinky on 1 February 2016 at 11:12am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item