Fifteen

by Ricardo Dague

1998

A 15-puzzle, a big maze, and one other puzzle, April 18, 2016
This game was intended to recall Scott Adams' early adventured, which were spare due to space limitations. However, they also used evocative and unexpected descriptions given the space. This game just cuts down room descriptions, with no evocativeness.

The puzzles include getting a kitchen down from a tree and a large maze with no redeeming qualities.

Where this game shines is its implementation of the sliding 15 puzzles where you have tiles numbered 1-15 on a 4x4 board and must get them in the correct order. The puzzle is shuffled randomly each game, but the author let's you opt out.

Fifteen is clearly quite well-done, for what it is. I found no bugs in the code, and what little prose there is is error-free. The puzzles, as I said, are implemented well, and the author's ability to make me feel like I'm playing a Scott Adams game is nothing short of remarkable. But Fifteen is still not that all-puzzle game that I'm looking for -- it's too spare and empty, and because of this it fails to create the interest needed to sustain its intense puzzle-orientation.

You wrote this review - Revise it | Add a comment

- NiMuSi (London, UK), February 23, 2008

Yet another minimalist treasure hunt. Four valuable items are in your neighborhood, protected by easy puzzles, including a grid maze. The title derives from the game's most complicated and only interesting object: an implementation of the famous 15 puzzle (sliding blocks on a 4x4 grid), with a rather good text interface that lets you specify multiple moves on a single line without hassle.

-- Carl Muckenhoupt