Online play
Download at textadventures.​co.​uk

BYOD

by n-n profile

Slice of life

Hoy empiezas tus prácticas de informática en una empresa. La compañía que te han asignado es McKenzie & Lloyds, un gigante del sector de la consultoría y los servicios profesionales (sea lo que sea eso). En la universidad te han podido proporcionar escasa información: solamente la dirección de la oficina y la fecha (hoy).

Language: Castilian (es)
First Publication Date: September 21, 2015
Current Version: Release 1 / Serial number 150928
IFID: 186DB54B-6456-4376-A34F-B46836DAC5C0
TUID: 3165a1us2iembhrq

CAAD

Reseñas en caad.es.

Fun Puzzle, Fun Toy, Substantial Plot, June 14, 2018
by IFforL2 (Chiayi, Taiwan)
BYOD begins with the gender-neutral PC as a new employee in an awkward situation. It quickly gives you (Spoiler - click to show)a a fun toy, (Spoiler - click to show)a hacker app, to play with.(Spoiler - click to show) You can use it to help someone or to create mischief. (Spoiler - click to show)It reminded me of the magical language in Suveh Nux, but in a modern technological and bureaucratic setting. This makes me wonder, do hackers sometimes feel like wizards?

The author, n-n, was kind enough to email back and forth with me before I decided to write this review. He showed me how (Spoiler - click to show)the app can do even more than it initially appears to. He also told me that the NPCs are inspired by (Spoiler - click to show)stories of office harrassment he'd read and seen in the news.

n-n's English is perfect, as far as I can tell, and this work deserves a translation. I did not feel frustrated by the puzzle, because there was so much fun to have while figuring out the mechanic. I continued playing with it after I finished the reading. The plot revealed itself in an ingenius way that further increased the replay value. It also revealed something to me about my personal ethics when I'm being snubbed. I actually felt a bit (Spoiler - click to show)guilty once I realized (Spoiler - click to show)that I had been making trouble for the wrong NPC, who wasn't my antagonist at all! I just had to give myself a Groundhog's Day as a sort of apology to my own conscience.

If you enjoyed BYOD...

People who like BYOD also gave high ratings to these games:

The Edifice, by Lucian P. Smith
"Something new in your everyday hunter-gatherer routine: where did this strange edifice come from? Dare you enter and explore the secrets of this... thing, or do you try to face your enemies? Like you have a choice." [--blurb from The...

Andromeda Apocalypse — Extended Edition, by Marco Innocenti
Floating in space on a strange vessel, sole survivor of a world... and maybe of the entire human race, Ektor Mastiff must find a way through the cosmos, on a voyage that can change the history of mankind forever. Andromeda Apocalypse is...

Pretty Sure, by Jim Munroe
After the Partnership with the offworlders takes place, many things on Earth get a lot easier. Parenting is not one of them. (Cover: Jonathan Wyke)

The following polls include votes for BYOD:

Very Short Games by tggdan3
Games that can be completed in less than 30 mintues. Need not be one room (though that obviously helps). Hopefully, the games are fun as well.

Games with Toys by IFforL2
I want to distinguish toys from three other IF game elements: Puzzles require the player to find a solution to a problem in the narrative. If she can't find a solution, she's stuck. Branching allows the player to steer the plot of the...

One room games by cpuguy
I would like to know what one room games are available. I enjoyed the acorn court, and am looking for more similar games.

This is version 7 of this page, edited by n-n on 6 July 2017 at 9:06am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item