The Mouse Who Woke Up For Christmas

by Luke A. Jones

Seasonal

Cute Christmas-themed game, March 2, 2019
The Mouse Who Woke Up For Christmas is a parser game written with the Quest design system. It starts off really cute: Youíre a mouse, and itís Christmas Eve. You have a few more things to do to get ready for Christmas, including finding a present for your young daughter (endearingly represented on the cover art). It turns out that all she wants is (Spoiler - click to show)to have her mother back. Mom went out to the garden months ago and never returned. Nobody knows where she is.

I had fun playing as a mouse. Actions that a human wouldnít think twice of performing arenít so easy for a mouse, some of which the author has turned into features of the game. For example, (Spoiler - click to show)you canít take the spade in the garden; itís too heavy. Also, you canít carry anything else if you pick up the cricket ball.

I do think the size aspect of the PC could have been exploited for a few more interesting puzzles, though.

My critiques of The Mouse Who Woke Up For Christmas are the same issues that so often bedevil us parser authors: a few underclued puzzles, like (Spoiler - click to show)wetting the rock to create a "whetstone" (it's a nice pun, but really hard to come up with on your own) and knocking out the weasel with the cricket ball; some guess-the-verb problems like (Spoiler - click to show)FILL BUCKET, when PUT WATER IN BUCKET and GET WATER don't work, LIGHT/BURN something isn't understood when you clearly need a fire for something, and THROW HOOK to get in the pet shop; as well as not enough feedback when you try something close to the solution, like (Spoiler - click to show)how the text says, "You canít use it that way" when you try to use the match on the lump of charcoal before pouring lighter fluid on it. It would clue the player that theyíre on the right track if the text response was something like, "You try, but the lump of charcoal wonít catch fire. Itís too dry."

My ten-year-old son played through the endgame with me. He really liked (Spoiler - click to show)the ninja outfit, as did I.

The story is sweet in a way thatís endearing rather than annoying (as opposed to certain childrenís television programs). The ending is (Spoiler - click to show)predictable but still moving. Meeting Santa Claus and having his elves help save the day was a nice touch as well, storywise.

Overall, a cute Christmas-themed game.

- dream, December 5, 2018

- The Xenographer, November 18, 2018

- Doug Orleans (Somerville, MA, USA), November 15, 2018

Luke A Jones strikes again, November 2, 2018

In this game, we get to play as Gerald Mouse, who has appeared in a few of Jones's previous games.

This short work is a lot like the author's other Christmas games (trading items we acquire for items on our list), except this game has a bit of adventure at the end.

---
As another reviewer has noted, there are a few typographical errors, but not so many that it detracted from the fun.

Meh., October 29, 2018
It's kind of cute, but it has a bunch of typos and such, and it seems to be nothing but irritating guess-the-verb puzzles from beginning to...well, as far as I got (part way through the pet shop).

- Mr. Patient (Saint Paul, Minn.), October 18, 2018