Rematch.gam

Current Version: Release 1.0.4
IFID: TADS2-3FA303BD4E8E3D9E6244BB10E0081089
TUID: 22oqimzgf8snv002

Winner, Best Individual Puzzle - 2000 XYZZY Awards

Like Aisle, this is a game that only lasts one move; you're expected to repeat that move many, many times. Unlike Aisle, though, this is a puzzle game--there's a problem you're trying to solve in that one move. It's a pretty complex problem, moreover, and the parser is accordingly expanded--in some syntaxes, up to five nouns, well beyond the norm. Not only is the puzzle difficult, but there are some red herrings that make the puzzle even harder--but it's also very satisfying when you finally do solve it. Both funny and grim--lots of amusing stuff around the edges, but the puzzle itself isn't particularly funny. A few nudges are included in the game, but no explicit spoilers.

-- Duncan Stevens

IF-Review
Care For Another?
It's a successful if somewhat evil puzzle. I was confused when it was going on, then gradually had more and more of a sense of what I wanted to do; at the end, however, it all clicked together with a satisfying snap, leaving no loose ends.

As writing or story I think it is slightly less successful. Even excellent descriptions and dialogue begin to pall on the 129th reading, and much of the NPC conversation has a somewhat stiff and unconvincing quality. There is a good reason for this, gameplay-wise, but it lends strength to the impression, especially on repeated playings, that these are clockwork people carrying out their clockwork functions in a world where you alone are sentient.

Rematch highlights the real strength of one-move games, in that they make it easy for the author to provide for absolutely everything the player could come up with (since the combinatorial factor--objects being combined in unexpected ways--is limited). In giving you multiple views and variations on the central event of the game (not revealed here, since the surprise of it is part of what gives Rematch its impact), the game enhances its mimetic qualities: you can try just about anything logical, and the parser will handle just about anything you type. The AMUSING section at the end is well populated, and in fact there are many things worth trying that don't, in fact, show up in that list.

Snapshot of some characters, June 17, 2009
by Brian Conn (Eureka, California)
As the reviews above say: one turn, one monster puzzle, and so you have to keep replaying, exploring, and dying in order to gradually construct the single complex move that will leave you with a happy(ish) ending.

My favorite feature is the way the relationships among the three main characters (player character and two friends) become clear as you keep playing. There's a history behind the moment you find yourself in, and you can use your turn to explore that history as well as your physical environment. I end up being more interested in the way the solution (as well as certain unsuccessful attempts) affects the interpersonal dynamics of the characters than in the technical details of how it saves everyone's life.

I like it. I like Aisle too. (Aisle is another one-turn game, also very good, and so an obvious comparison. But if you haven't played it, then this paragraph won't do much for you.) There's something about about the idea of approaching one key moment from a hundred different angles that appeals to me. Rematch is different from Aisle in that you have a clear and difficult goal, and the fictional world and characters are consistent from run to run -- so it's maybe more reality-bound than Aisle, less whimsical, more a problem to solve than an identity to explore.

As for the puzzle, it's difficult, but certainly solvable with patience.

Totally brilliant., June 12, 2018
I'm the person who wrote the true and proper walkthrough. I solved it on my own, though it took a couple hours.

Some people have mentioned that the puzzle seems to fight against the story. Nothing could be further from the truth.

The game is very good at making you, the player, go through what the character would be feeling, if this event was real for them. The horror at the accident, the despair that there seems to be no way to save you, Nick and Ines. The frustration at the trap you have found yourself in, the eventual detachment required to actually work out the solution, and the great satisfaction when you finally manage to break the cycle.

If you haven't played it, do so. I highly recommend not reading the walkthrough. The puzzle is 100% solvable with observation and exploration. (Spoiler - click to show)First you must escape the trap of thinking all you need to know is visible before you type your first command. Having done that, you may then escape the actual trap in the game.

Reset, retry, repeat, September 5, 2015
I didn't mind the red herrings or the guesswork, but the solution (though sufficiently-clued) is contrived and relies more on inferring the author's weird rules than sensible problem-solving. Certain actions (such as ones involving violence) have unrealistically mild or useless results, and other actions that seem like easy solutions are disallowed for no good reason. I don't mind solving a puzzle for its own sake, but I'd prefer one with a consistent tone and an interesting setting. The grim premise made me expect something much darker, but it ends up being a mismatch against the goofiness of the solution. The title is also wasted--the competition in question is really just another red herring. Complaints aside, the author did succeed in designing a challenging one-turn puzzle, so I have to give credit for competent novelty.

If you enjoyed Rematch...

Other members recommend these games for people who like Rematch, or gave both high ratings:

Aisle, by Sam Barlow
"Late Thursday night. You've had a hard day and the last thing you need is this: shopping. Luckily, the place is pretty empty and you're progressing rapidly. On to the next aisle... Aisle started out as a game which would not need the...

The Matter of the Monster, by Andrew Plotkin
You stagger up to its lair. Blue sand drags at your feet. Your Hands don't tremble well, much as you ready your new weapon. Your voice doesn't quaver (hardly at all) as you shout out the words you were taught. One, two! Dive and...

The Awakening, by Dennis Matheson
"You remember darkness. And the cold. Cold and darkness. And silence. Those memories are all that you have. That, and a feeling that something you never knew you possessed has been lost. Suddenly, oblivion is split by a blinding light...

Rematch appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Great games in a mostly realistic setting by MathBrush
These are games that for the most part don't contain magical elements or futuristic technology. This includes games where there might be magic or futuristic technology, but you don't know until the end. So several of these games do...

Games to be Replayed by Raksab
These games should be played through more than once, for full effect.

Replay puzzles by Emily Short
Games which are entirely devoted to a single big puzzle, usually one that the player has to replay a number of times to get exactly right. Often these involve time restrictions or events that the player has to observe in order to...

The following polls include votes for Rematch:

Most unique games by Jeremy Freese
Whatever else might be said about ___________, there's not another game like it.

Fate vs Free Will Games by loocas
I imagine that the interactive nature of IF would allow themes of fate and free will to be used powerfully. Perhaps the PC is given a glimpse of his or her future and the player tries to avoid it. Are there games in which this is done?...

Influential Games by Rose
As a historical exercise, I've begun compiling a list of IF games that have either done something ground breaking with the medium or otherwise influenced it; and I've turned it into a poll so everyone can have input on the expansion....

This is version 4 of this page, edited by MathBrush on 8 February 2017 at 3:41pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item