Adventuron version
Can be played in most browsers (html-file)
C64 version
Requires Commodore 64 emulator.
Commodore 64 Application
Amiga version
Requires Amiga emulator.
Amiga Application
Atari ST version
Requires Atari ST emulator
Atari ST Application
zenobi48k.zip
Sinclair ZX Spectrum Application (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)
Solution by Ian Preston
From CASA Solution Archive (www.​solutionarchive.​com)
Solution by THayes
From CASA Solution Archive (www.​solutionarchive.​com)

Behind Closed Doors 3: Revenge of the Ants

TUID: 1pldx5yoq46qb6cj

Sequel to Behind Closed Doors 2: The Sequel, by John Wilson

Followed by sequel Behind Closed Doors 4: Balrog's Day Out, by George E. Hoyle

Your Sinclair

"By now you should know what to expect from a Zenobi Behind Closed Doors game, as this is the third in the series and has the sub-title Revenge Of The Ants. In case you don't know, these are author John Wilson's renowned one-location games, that one location being... well, the smallest room in the house. Or, as we're dealing with Balrogs, the little room in the hut at the bottom of the garden, where all Balrogs must visit at some time or another. If you think a one-location game must be small, then you've not allowed for all the things you can do in that one location... apart from the obvious, and you can do that and much, much more. In fact, this is probably the first adventure game where you HAVE to input a four-letter word in order to succeed, though it's a fairly mild four-letter word. Well, the results aren't mild but the word is."

Too hard for me and a lot of verb-guessing, November 23, 2020
by Denk
Related reviews: The Quill, Adventuron, PAW, DAAD
(Reviewing Adventuron version)
I have enjoyed previous episodes but this game is far too hard for me. I enjoyed it briefly, but I quickly got stuck and took a look at the walkthrough. I got one step further, then I got stuck for a long time again, and looked at the walkthrough again and so on. The solutions to these sub-puzzles (both actions and exact verbs) are way beyond what I would be able to figure out without a walkthrough.

Add to this:
* The game can be unwinnable even if the player does nothing wrong (random element)
* The verb USE is normally not understood but suddenly required in one situation.
* The game has a two-word parser but it turns out that in specific situations, the game accepts a four word sentence to be split into two commands:
(fictive example below is not in the game and doesn't happen when using the verb PUT)
>PUT BOOK
On what?
>ON SHELF (SHELF wouldn't have worked, ON SHELF required)

Some might see these "problems" as challenges. For me, this isn't what I am looking for when I play older text adventures. Still, I intend to try more episodes in the series, since I liked the first episodes.

If you enjoyed Behind Closed Doors 3: Revenge of the Ants...

People who like Behind Closed Doors 3: Revenge of the Ants also gave high ratings to these games:

Insight, by Jon Ingold

The Beetmonger's Journal, by Scott Starkey
"Victor Lapot and I were miles from base camp on the south continent, once again hacking through previously unsurveyed lands and searching for forgotten cultures. The expedition reminded me of our grand adventures of old, that is, if I...

Firebird, by Bonnie Montgomery
"Firebird is based on the Old Russian folk tales that inspired the Stravinsky piece of the same name. You are Prince Ivan, and have been charged by your father, the tsar, to find the Firebird that has been stealing your father's golden...

This is version 8 of this page, edited by Denk on 18 November 2020 at 2:07pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item