Available for Apple & Android

Survival Horror

by Joe Aaron Sellers profile

Official Trailer on YouTube:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nY1eX4al4M

"The floor is cold. You wake up, trapped in a school, surrounded by the infected. You cannot remember what happened. It is not safe here. You need to get back home."

Survival Horror: Interactive Fiction is a text adventure game, ruthless and creepy, best played in the dark. Tap key words to explore. Choose wisely, or your story may end in your bloody slaughter. This game may be too disturbing for some readers.

Could you survive in a zombie apocalypse like The Walking Dead, Zombieland, or World War Z?

• The words in this text adventure game are interactive. Tap key words to explore.
• Every new game is a different experience, with several solutions for each situation.
• Ambient music and sound create an immersive atmosphere.
• Engaging moral dilemmas and brutal consequences.
• This game may be too disturbing for some players.

4/5 stars on Kongregate. Here are a few excerpts from the player comments:
• "Tough, exciting, and surprisingly immersive." -averagegames
• "I just mowed down a 12 year old with a van, and I feel good about that." -literati1972
• "Great game!" -L1br4r14n
• "Really cool and creepy atmosphere." -alpho_x
• "Well this game is brutal and unforgiving. I see that ever trying to help anyone is a fruitless endeavor." -yoshibaby21
• "I think this was a little too disturbing for me, especially the baby in the lake." -BraveDogBFG
• "I love these text-based games. It's a shame that they are not many, I really would like to see them more. Good job!" -Saidan
• "I love the old school feel, better still is how it still feels modern with your point and click element." -Crsen
• "Great idea with a choose your own adventure type of text game. This is the kind of game I'd like to see more of." -Jzyehoshua
• "I really like it... It's like I'm really in that school." -RunForLife
• "The story changes consistently, so it's definitely a thrill trying to choose the right path. Great game. Keeps me intrigued. I have had to restart a handful of times, but it's very addicting!" -sicilio08

Scored 9/10 on Urban Gaming Elite:
• "The only element that really matters in determining its score is the story, which is wonderfully written. Combine that with a well-designed soundtrack, easy-to-use interface and a price tag of under $5 (less than a good book today), for those who enjoy a good horror novel or want to experience something unique, Survival Horror is a must-have and comes highly recommended by UGE."

3.5 out of 5 stars on Another Castle:
• "You might end up lying awake at night struggling with the morally duplicitous actions that you've been forced to make."

App Store:
itunes.apple.com/us/app/survival-horror/id964

Google Play:
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.com.joeaaronsellers.SurvivalHorror241584

Amazon:

Forgiveness Rating: Tough
TUID: 19r12feebt58p8f

UGE
A New Take on Horror
"Survival Horror stands as a unique approach to the mobile game arena. Truthfully, the only element that really matters in determining its score is the story, which is wonderfully written. Combine that with a well-designed soundtrack, easy-to-use interface and a price tag of under $5 (less than a good book today), for those who enjoy a good horror novel or want to experience something unique, Survival Horror is a must-have and comes highly recommended by UGE."

Another Castle
But Wait, There are Zombies
"You might end up lying awake at night struggling with the morally duplicitous actions that you’ve been forced to make."

From the Author

I quit my shitty retail management job to pursue a career in game development. Over the past year and a half, I've been teaching myself how to code, and decided to create my first commercial product: a text adventure game for mobile devices. I wrote everything, from the story to the programming code.

SURVIVAL HORROR is a psychological mind-fuck, and it is played through a combination of my favorite elements of CYOA books and text adventures. Instead of typing in commands, the player taps keywords to explore or make life-or-death choices. The puzzles and available inventory are random for each playthrough, so that the game can be replayable.

To create an immersive experience for a text-based game, I layered in ambient music that maintains the mood of each situation. In combat, the tempo increases as you lose health. When you break through a brick wall, you hear the stone crumbling with each impact of your sledgehammer. Footsteps, radio static, wood splintering and glass shattering. It may be subtle, but the atmospheric noise can swallow you up into the story.

You play the lone protagonist, an amnesiac in a savage dystopia, fending off relentless zombie-like enemies, searching for the way back home to rejoin your friends at camp. Your decisions affect the outcome of the story. For example, you can sustain injuries, like a broken arm or an eye gouged out of your face, which can influence everything that follows. As your character struggles for survival, you encounter gut-wrenching moral dilemmas. It is an unforgiving and brutal game, like any good horror story should be.

Due to its unsettling content, this mobile app may be too disturbing for some players.

This is my first effort, and I hope you agree that it is a good one. I plan on writing more, if people like what I'm writing.

One of the better choice-based interfaces., June 14, 2015
by Hanon Ondricek (United States)
I only perused the demo to check this out (so I am not scoring the game). This is a standard "wake up with amnesia - zombies are attacking your location" scenario, however the writing seems pretty good, and I got a very strong sense of atmosphere...aided by the ambient soundtrack and scare chords when something attacks.

There is what seems like a battle system, and a unique interface that I like a lot: Every word in the story is a potential hyperlink, so interacting feels more like searching and investigating rather than lawnmowering through pre-set choices. The player can click any permutation of "you" or "your" to see inventory. Text that pops up with a block around it is a non-interactive description and can be clicked to return to the previous passage, but this block text is also sometimes combined with text outside that allows the reader to interact closely with the examined object.

I'd love if this system were an Inform extension or its own touch-based fiction system along the lines of Texture.
Note: this rating is not included in the game's average.

If you enjoyed Survival Horror...