wf38k.zip *
"mini-westfront" version
Windows Application (Windows XP and later)
wfpc.zip *
Windows Application (Windows XP and later)
wfpc_dos.zip *

1993

I wish to discuss with you the nature of my game “Westfront PC: The
Trials of Guilder”. It has been called a cross between Zork,
Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, Star Wars and several online MUDs
(Multi-User Dungeons). I am very humbled by such a mixture and am
warmed to the heart by the kind praise and words of encouragement.
Westfront PC (or simply, “WFPC”) is not meant to be a traditional text
adventure game. It was inspired by a host of adventure games, from
Zork to The Pawn to online MUDs and even some Graphical Adventure
games. It is an odd mixture to say the least. But the truth of the
matter is this: Westfront PC is half adventure game, half an inside
joke and the rest eccentrically fun nonsense.
The game itself has 1,728 “rooms” spread across four different
continents. But the fun of the game is not so much exploring the rooms
as it is discovering new items and solving the various puzzles and
quests around the game.

License: Public Domain (Former Shareware)
Development System: BASIC
TUID: yurg8ah4pdcapc5g

A sprawling RPG with color use, September 14, 2017
Related reviews: 10+ hours
This game is so different from Panks's other games. Panks's IFComp games were short and trivial, or mocking.

This game is really, really big, and reasonably well polished.

You can play a lot of mini games, visit tons of locations, order NPCs, etc.

The problem is that it was developed for a long time by one person with only a little input from others, meaning that several of the mechanics are just spotty.

Large but unfriendly, November 22, 2015
I have no idea what I am doing in this game, even after playing for several hours. It certainly has a lot of stuff in it, but that doesn't necessarily make it fun to play. I find it tedious to navigate through the 1000+ rooms only to die and have to find my way back to where I was. I want to give a piece of armor to my companion. I can't just say "give armor to <companion name>" - it recognizes that I have typed the command but it tells me that I must first unequip it. Obviously you know what I wanted to do so why not just unequip it for me and give it to my companion? There's are just a few small examples pointing at a larger pattern of letting the clunkiness get in the way of being able to explore the game.

I definitely would consider this to be a sandbox. So, if you are interested in just exploring and discovering, you may get some enjoyment out of this. But just know that the mechanics and general clunkiness of the interface are going to make it less-than-pleasant to work with.

I give this 2 stars just on the merit of having a lot of content in it. You can't go wrong with putting a ton of stuff in a game. But the aforementioned issues overall hurt the experience. That said, it's one of the first few IF games I've played, so perhaps I don't have the breadth of experience to know if it's really 2 stars when compared to other games...

If you enjoyed Westfront PC: The Trials of Guilder...

People who like Westfront PC: The Trials of Guilder also gave high ratings to these games:

The Farmer's Daughter, by R. W. Fisher and D. W. J. Sarhan

Kerkerkruip, by Victor Gijsbers
Kerkerkruip is a short-form roguelike in the interactive fiction medium, featuring meaningful tactical and strategic depth, innovative game play, zero grinding, and a sword & sorcery setting that does not rehash tired clichés.

Adventureland, by Scott Adams
Wander through an enchanted realm and try to uncover the 13 lost treasures. There are wild animals and magical beings to reckon with as well as many other perils and mysteries. WARNING! The Z-Code conversion of this game is certifiably...

The following polls include votes for Westfront PC: The Trials of Guilder:

Sandbox games by JonathanCR
There are two competing philosophies in game design (in games in general, not just text games). One is the story: tell a story in which the player is the protagonist. Games of this kind have strong plotting but they can often seem to...

This is version 6 of this page, edited by chairbender on 24 November 2015 at 6:56pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item