ftaegea.z8
ftaegea.sol
solution
amylya.pdf
large-scale map of tha land containing Fort Aegea
To view this file, you need an Acrobat Reader for your system.
ftaegea.pdf
map of the Fort Aegea area
To view this file, you need an Acrobat Reader for your system.

Fort Aegea

by Francesco Bova

Episode 2 of Jewel of Knowledge
2002

Baf's Guide ID: 1917
IFID: ZCODE-2-020926-6DEE
TUID: x0itm8yeyavwhuah

Sequel to The Jewel of Knowledge, by Francesco Bova

8th Place - 8th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2002)

There were two things I really disliked about this game. First of all, and by far the most important, there is a huge amount of violence in the story. [...] The second thing that hurt Fort Aegea for me is the spell casting. You have a few spells you can cast which have very unique effects. However, the problem is that almost every single puzzles solution involves casting one of about four spells. [...]

I think the best thing this game has going for it is the completeness of the world. It is a fairly detailed world model and it feels very real with the exception of the description of the dragon that sounds like it came straight from Dungeons and Dragons or one of its imitators.

-- Adam Myrow

Most of the game is really fun -- it has several good puzzles and action sequences, a nice propulsive plot, and some surprising and well-drawn details. In addition, the game employs spellcasting, which is a kick -- there are lots of moments that measure up to anything in Enchanter, and the spells have the added virtue of being particularly well-suited to the character and thus helping to further define her. The game felt quite well-tested and proofread to me -- I found a few syntactical errors here and there, and maybe one or two bugs, but on the other side there are a number of rather complicated effects that the game produces with admirable smoothness. Oh, and lest I forget, Fort Aegea has some of the most gorgeous feelies I've ever seen with an amateur game, hand-drawn maps that positively exude Tolkien. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this game to anyone who enjoys Dungeons-and-Dragons-influenced fantasy IF, especially games in the Enchanter vein.

Run away! Run away!, April 23, 2008
by Tom Hudson (Durham, North Carolina)
A large chunk of the game is about running away, which makes a very nice motivation. However, the timing is extremely strict, which means that you learn by dying - again and again and again. Further, it can be quite cruel: if you don't pick up necessary but unobvious objects before you're on the run, you won't have a chance afterwards. A couple of minor bugs contribute to these problems (on one possible route, you can go 'west' into a room, but you can't go 'east' out of it - and trying to do so costs you the one-turn margin of error you have).

So, not to my taste - I think the time pressure could be reduced, or the puzzle solutions more heavily clued, to provide a better game experience. Which is a pity, since the story the author wants to tell looks interesting (albeit, as Paul O'Brian says in his review, with large chunks of setting taken straight from Dungeons & Dragons).

Defeat a dragon through 4 subgames. Violent, and D&Dish., April 24, 2016
Fort Aegea is a well made game about a priestess dealing with a dragon. After a brief prologue, you confront a dragon who challenges you to evade them for a day, or else they will kill all virgins in the area.

The map has 4 subareas that you can run off too. Each contains its own miniature quest. Some are much easier than others.

This game has unusual amounts of violence, in the sense that many people die in scenarios that would not kill them in most IF games.

Recommended for fantasy fans.

If you enjoyed Fort Aegea...