Conversations With My Mother

by Merritt Kopas profile

Slice of life

A brief game about family relationships, in which you can click on words in the dialogue to change them before continuing the conversation.

Language: English (en-us)
First Publication Date: May 6, 2013
TUID: w11qw03b18c1gf27

An interesting anecdote., September 7, 2013
by Hanon Ondricek (United States)
This Twine episode lets you manipulate words in a short speech by the author's mother...it sounds a bit like an answering machine message. After you do so, the game generates links to tweets made by the author in which she expresses responses to the words chosen. Kind of an interesting idea. I don't know if this is based on real life, or completely fabricated, but it's a nifty little interaction which reminds the reader how words might be interpreted.

I wish there were more to it. It's almost the same exact mechanic as FIRST DRAFT OF THE REVOLUTION. Conversations... has you changing the words that are said to the PC/author, but this is almost a template for what could be an amazing conversation engine - if you could control the syntax and intention of different parts of the sentence completely by twiddling with them and getting varied reactions from the interlocutor based on *how* you phrased what you said, it could be quite interesting.

Didn't really impress me, December 30, 2014
by Chai Hai (Kansas City KS)
I get what this is going for, and trying to be all sweet, but to me this was lacking.

I like the style it's written in, changing the conversation slightly, but it didn't feel that personal to me. It didn't engage me.

It would probably feel more intimate if I were a parent, which I am not, but regardless it didn't pull me in as I'm sure it was intended to.

If you enjoyed Conversations With My Mother...

Other members recommend these games for people who like Conversations With My Mother, or gave both high ratings:

First Draft of the Revolution, by Emily Short, Liza Daly and inkle
It is dangerous to deceive a husband of magic-using rank... Juliette has been banished for the summer to a village above Grenoble: a few Alpine houses, a deep lake, blue sky, and no society. Now she writes daily to her husband. She tells...

ASCII and the Argonauts, by J. Robinson Wheeler
In this wonderfully laconic spoof of the Scott Adams style of adventures, you play as Jason of the Argo, tasked by King Pelias to bring the Golden Fleece to him or die. Surprisingly both entertaining and tricky, this game is a gem among...

All Roads, by Jon Ingold
"Wave a circle round him thrice, And close your eyes with holy dread For he on honey-dew hath fed And drunk the milk of paradise." [--blurb from Competition Aught-One]

The following polls include votes for Conversations With My Mother:

Mother-Daugher Relations by matt w (Matt Weiner)
What are some IF works that involve a relationship between a mother and a daughter? Not necessarily as the center of the work, but as something that impinges on it at all.

Games about mother-child relationships by verityvirtue
Games which deal with mother-child relationships, no matter the nature of either party.

This is version 2 of this page, edited by Leon Arnott on 18 December 2013 at 3:27am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item