Conversations With My Mother

by Merritt Kopas profile

Slice of life

A brief game about family relationships, in which you can click on words in the dialogue to change them before continuing the conversation.

Language: English (en-us)
First Publication Date: May 6, 2013
TUID: w11qw03b18c1gf27

An interesting anecdote., September 7, 2013
by Hanon Ondricek (United States)
This Twine episode lets you manipulate words in a short speech by the author's mother...it sounds a bit like an answering machine message. After you do so, the game generates links to tweets made by the author in which she expresses responses to the words chosen. Kind of an interesting idea. I don't know if this is based on real life, or completely fabricated, but it's a nifty little interaction which reminds the reader how words might be interpreted.

I wish there were more to it. It's almost the same exact mechanic as FIRST DRAFT OF THE REVOLUTION. Conversations... has you changing the words that are said to the PC/author, but this is almost a template for what could be an amazing conversation engine - if you could control the syntax and intention of different parts of the sentence completely by twiddling with them and getting varied reactions from the interlocutor based on *how* you phrased what you said, it could be quite interesting.

Didn't really impress me, December 30, 2014
by Chai Hai (Kansas City KS)
I get what this is going for, and trying to be all sweet, but to me this was lacking.

I like the style it's written in, changing the conversation slightly, but it didn't feel that personal to me. It didn't engage me.

It would probably feel more intimate if I were a parent, which I am not, but regardless it didn't pull me in as I'm sure it was intended to.

If you enjoyed Conversations With My Mother...

Other members recommend these games for people who like Conversations With My Mother, or gave both high ratings:

First Draft of the Revolution, by Emily Short, Liza Daly and inkle
It is dangerous to deceive a husband of magic-using rank... Juliette has been banished for the summer to a village above Grenoble: a few Alpine houses, a deep lake, blue sky, and no society. Now she writes daily to her husband. She tells...

Snack Time!, by Hardy the Bulldog and Renee Choba
Can you help one hungry bulldog in his quest to find something good to eat? He would like that. A lot. [blurb from IF Comp 2008]

Tales of the Traveling Swordsman, by Mike Snyder
You are the traveling swordsman; the strong and silent stranger; the wandering vanquisher of villainy. Damsels swoon for you. Good men respect and envy you. Scoundrels learn to fear you. Even so, you are but a rumor throughout the land....

The following polls include votes for Conversations With My Mother:

Games about mother-child relationships by verityvirtue
Games which deal with mother-child relationships, no matter the nature of either party.

Mother-Daugher Relations by matt w (Matt Weiner)
What are some IF works that involve a relationship between a mother and a daughter? Not necessarily as the center of the work, but as something that impinges on it at all.

This is version 2 of this page, edited by Leon Arnott on 18 December 2013 at 3:27am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item