trading.zip *
Contains trading.hex
For all systems. To play, you'll need a Hugo interpreter - visit the Hugo home page for download links.
trading.hex
background music resources
TRADGFX
graphics resources
TRADALT
lower-quality compressed graphics and music

Trading Punches

Development System: Hugo
IFIDs:  HUGO-25-29-7A-07-04-06
HUGO-25-1F-48-10-01-04
TUID: t593d66s20bblqt0

10th Place - 10th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2004)

The game itself is quite solid, too -- it's clear that a whole lot of effort went into this project. Aside from the few bugs I mentioned [earlier], I found the code pleasantly error-free, and the same goes for the writing. The puzzles worked well for me, and the game did an excellent job of providing cues to help me know what I ought to try next. One item in particular was not only quite well-implemented, but also provided an excellent emotional through-line for the story. Trading Punches still has a few details to clean up... but I'd recommend it without hesitation, especially to fans of dramatic fantasy games like Worlds Apart.

Captivating, December 2, 2009
by Divide (Wroclaw, Poland)
The game-world is well thought-out, fleshed out, and told in such a graphic way that the illustrations are almost redundant. I loved the technique of having the character recall past events by player reliving them; reminiscent of Spider and Web but put in quite a different context. This also makes mercifulness only natural.

Retrospective episodes are sometimes quite distant in time, but weaved skillfully (with brilliant use of a trinket) into a cohesive story, developing the protagonist (and another character) in much detail. Puzzles also feel natural, not really puzzles at all, just something you do; only at one point I had no idea what to do next (and it turned out to be quite obvious, had I thought as the character would at that point, and not as a player sifting game text for clues does).

A "hard sci fi" game about two alien cultures, culture and family, February 3, 2016
This is a story-driven game set in 3 parts, with a prelude, interludes, and a postlude.

The game is about two brothers who witness a new civilization come in contact with their own, the Incenders, a race of humanoid fiery beings. Over time, the brothers deal with a variety of forms of conflict.

The puzzles are a bit odd; the first big puzzle is serving drinks to a large group of people, and this can be tedious. It gets more exciting with dangerous exploration puzzles in parts 2 and 3.

A lot of world building has gone on here, similar to that on Worlds Apart, but on a smaller scale.

Recommended for fans of "hard sci-fi".

Well crafted, October 31, 2007
by Nusco (Bologna, Italy)
Related reviews: IF Competition 2004
A very well-crafted Sci-Fi narrative implemented with maniacal attention to details. Very good (if verbose) writing, clean graphics and an involving and deeply human story almost push it up into four-stars territory. But sorry, I couldn't stand the puzzles.

If you enjoyed Trading Punches...

People who like Trading Punches also gave high ratings to these games:

Coloratura, by Lynnea Glasser
Stolen away by apathetic Blind Ones, your only desire is to return to your Cellarium and the Song of the Universe. They should understand. You shall make them to understand.

Kaged, by Ian Finley
""But my madness speaks: It will but skin and film the ulcerous place, Whilst rank corruption, mining all within, Infects unseen." Welcome to the Citadel of Justice. The Inquisitor is waiting." [--blurb from Competition Aught-Zero]

So Far, by Andrew Plotkin
Sitting in a cramped theatre, irritated that your partner apparently hasn't turned up, you are strangely intrigued by a current of air. It will lead you to a place very different from your own familiar surroundings... [--blurb from The...

Trading Punches appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Annotated list of best sci-fi games by MathBrush
A few months ago, I thought, "There really aren't that many sci-fi IF games". Then I started going through old games I had played, and downlaoded TADS, and was shocked at how many great sci-fi games there are. This is a list of my...

The following polls include votes for Trading Punches:

Games part of an unfinished series by Jonathan Blask
I think it is both funny and interesting when games bill themselves as "Part # in the [blank] series" (and other games are never written). It is fun to speculate what directions those future games may have gone. This poll is a memorial...

Deep fictional worlds by Kenji Yamada
I'd like to play more games set in fictional worlds with deeply-imagined cultures and history. Implementation depth would also be a plus.

Games featuring music by Karl Ove Hufthammer
I have always thought that music has a huge potential for enhancing IF, more so than graphics has. So what are the best examples of IF games that use music? Note that this poll does not include games with only sound effects; they have to...

This is version 6 of this page, edited by Merk on 26 October 2013 at 7:35pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item